*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1055640-Cats
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#1055640 added September 12, 2023 at 1:12pm
Restrictions: None
Cats
Prompt: Cats
September is Happy Cats month. Do you like cats? And why do you think some people get along with cats better than with other pets?


----------

It is about time cats to have a month of their own, for playfulness is an integral part of a cat's personality. How can I not like cats? I grew up with a lot of cats in the house, due to my aunt's cat-lady behavior even when she was a young girl.

Cats are endearing and entertaining companions, and they know when you are ill or hurt or upset about something. I now have a black cat, Noche, fifteen-years old. She is aloof to strangers, but to me, she responds with an affectionate nature.

I adopted Noche three years ago. In hindsight, it was the best thing I did for myself in a very long time. Yet, I knew Noche since she was a tiny kitten, as she was first taken in by my son and his then-wife, but after Noche was a year-old, they took in another cat, and Noche wasn't happy about it. Still, she survived that cat's existence. What she couldn't bear was the dog, a bossy Chesapeake retriever, adopted by my son after the second cat.

Since the dog chased Noche around, Noche took the action in her own hands paws and so misbehaved that my son decided to take her to a no-kill shelter. To save everyone from such a heartbreak, I took Noche in, and any nasty behavior from Noche just evaporated.

Maybe Noche's old behaviors could be associated with the superstitions and folklore about black cats. Yet, this black cat is just as loving and entertaining as other cats with different colors and markings. What I love about Noche the most is her different ways of vocalization and purring when stroked. She is always talking to me and I answer. Then, when I talk to her she meows or makes cute sounds, something like "murrt", as replies. Usually, we have a long conversation going.

She's not much into toys, but I think she tries to appease me when I take a toy to play with her. Yet, she's a voyeur. She loves to watch the outside or anything else inside, only from a safe distance without entangling in a relationship with it.

I love most animals and can usually get along with them well, but the reason I love cats and relate to them much better could be because of my earliest exposure to cats. Even if it weren't so, I would still love and respect cats over other animals. What is there not to like about cats with their unique, independent, yet affectionate personalities?


.
 ~
 ~
 ~

© Copyright 2023 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1055640-Cats