*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
2
3
4
5
6
8
9
10
11
12
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1056315-September-27-2023---Yom-Kippur
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #2299971
My journal about my conversion to Judaism.
#1056315 added September 27, 2023 at 10:26pm
Restrictions: None
September 27, 2023 - Yom Kippur
Yom Kippur is a 25 hour fast and an all day (and night before) prayer service. It is filled with beautiful prayers of asking G-d for forgiveness. It was quite exhausting. Not only did I fast for over 25 hours, but also stood a long time (hours) praying and concentrating on prayers. The concentration and reading became difficult the last hour of service. At that point, I had fasted 27 hours. Words started to run together.

Then there was the fact that I hadn't showered since the morning before. One of the rules for Yom Kippur is not to wash. I felt gross. My hair felt gross. I wanted nothing more than to take a hot shower (one of the things I thank G-d for every time I get one). I pictured the stench coming off of me and filling the entire room like a cloud of yuck. Of course, that is an exaggeration, but it didn't seem like it by the end of the day. At least not that day. I did smell my clothes the next day and they smelled just fine, so it was just me worrying for nothing, but I'm used to showering every morning. I enjoy showering every morning. This part was difficult for me for sure.

Then there was the part of me being me. I have to be the only person who can fast for over 24 hours and suddenly, in the middle of praying, start choking on my own spit. How did I even have that much spit at that point? Seriously? Normally, my mouth would be completely dry, but not the day I fasted in the presence of a hundred other people. No, then I had so much spit in my mouth that I had to embarrass myself by choking on it.

I spent three nights at my host's house. It was nice getting to know her a little more. She really is a wonderful woman. She has a pond and a creek behind her house. It was a beautiful escape and a great spot to refresh the mind and talk with G-d. I'm attaching the photos (if I get it right) I took of the pond and the creek. It's amazing that in the middle of a stressful day, event, or place, G-d can provide such peace.

I am so thankful to my host, S, for the possibility to have this experience. Without her, I would just be reading about it instead of experiencing it. I'm also thankful for H who let me nap at her house between services. I am blessed with having found a wonderful community with women so inviting and helpful.

This next weekend starts Sukkot. I will not be able to do all of the events for the holiday due to work obligations, but I get to enjoy one day of it, and I'm very much looking forward to it.



 ~
 ~

© Copyright 2023 Jeanette (UN: babygirl328 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jeanette has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1056315-September-27-2023---Yom-Kippur