*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1057136-Oct-2023-prep-day-4
Rated: E · Book · Action/Adventure · #2251563
Rising Star blog
#1057136 added October 10, 2023 at 4:57pm
Restrictions: None
Oct 2023 prep day 4
Oct. 4: - Plot: Beginning (Where does your story start?) ▼
(1) Describe your protagonist's life in the beginning (Ordinary World or Stasis) of the story. Brainstorm ways you could establish normality through action and dialog to avoid boring your reader.
(2) Describe the inciting incident or trigger (Call to Adventure) that prompts your protagonist(s) to embark on this story's journey (whether literal or metaphorical) and face the conflict. This incident could be large and obvious like a death or disaster, or it could be seemingly insignificant, such as an offhand comment by another character.


Randy Billings worked at caring for and building his family ranch. Rarely did he enjoy a day off. It was only him and his mother and some ranch hands that lived on and worked the property. You could find him roping, branding his cattle, cutting fire wood, feeding his animals, repairing fences and other things on any given day. There was always plenty of work to be done on the ranch.

When he had a little free time, he would often go into town to get supplies, get his hair cut, visit with friends, and conduct other business. It is on one of these days that the incident occurred.

He went to the barbershop, and that's when he saw him, it was the man that killed his dad. Something came over him and he felt a burning rage and all he could see was red. It was like he had lost his head. Everything happened so quickly. Before he knew what had happened, he was out on the street in a gun fight.

He had never been in a gun fight before. He hated to harm a fly. But this was for his Daddy being shot down in cold blood.He drew his gun and fired at the man who killed his dad as he dove behind a horse watering trough. He didn't know if he had hit his target. More shots rang out. He could not see who was firing. What he did manage to see was the sheriff run out of the saloon and fall the the ground as he was hit.

Someone yelled, "It was Randy Billings that just shot the sheriff! I saw it with my own eyes!"

Randy stood up and everyone was staring at him in disbelief. Randy, yells back, " No! It wasn't me. I didn't kill the Sheriff!"

About that time, the deputy said, "Randy, I am going to have to arrest you for killing the Sheriff."

Randy thought about giving in for a second but then it occurred to him that he could be hanged if found guilty and he didn't know how he could prove his innocence. Heart racing, he ran for his horse a few feet away. He knew the deputy would draw his gun so he stayed as low as he could as he climbed onto his horse's back and began to ride away. He could hear guns firing and see splinters on buildings close by and the dirt around him he doesn't know how, but somehow he managed to escape for now.


a signature image created for Marvelous Friend

© Copyright 2023 Marvelous Friend (UN: pickmarvilla at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Marvelous Friend has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1057136-Oct-2023-prep-day-4