*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
7
14
21
28
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1057742-The-Southern-Autumn
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#1057742 added October 20, 2023 at 11:59am
Restrictions: None
The Southern Autumn
Let this quote inspire your entry today: “Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower.”
― Albert Camus
This classic autumn quote is so true! Although you may have a few flowers still blooming in your garden, it’s difficult to compare to the brilliance of the red and orange gardens we see on the trees during October. What's it like in your area... vibrant colors or mostly green. Squirrels gathering nuts? Leaves strewn everywhere from the rain and wind. Take us into your world.


----------------

Yes, the quote is absolutely beautiful and it points to what the scenery looked like up north when we used to live there. Where we are now, in way south, everything is green and stays green except for a maudlin Northern tree or bush some displaced northerners tried to put in because in their hearts they couldn't let go of the northern fall seasons.

What they fail to see is that the climate here is warm and humid throughout the year with an exceptional day or two, occasionally. While the foliage turns so colorful in the North, down here evergreen and tropical trees such as the different species of palms, mangroves, and bougainvillea remain lush and verdant throughout the year. I, on the other hand, as another displaced northerner, with my love for roses, had some success with keeping the rose bushes alive. In addition to putting them in semi-shade, I learned the hard way not to neglect to water them three times a day in summer, which doesn't guarantee 100% success either.

Also, the hurricane season, which at this time, is about to leave us alone (I hope) does a number on all plants and trees, should such a storm should hit the area. With wildlife, however, we are lucky because one can witness unique animals here. In addition to the local wildlife, with the southern autumn, we also get some migrating birds and other animals from elsewhere. This is because the late October and November is the beginning of the tourist season here and wildlife is no exception.

As to "squirrels gathering nuts", yes, we have them here, too, but they are a scarce sight and they are no bigger than rats, probably because hawks and eagles get them before they can grow. For that very fear of the predator wildlife, I don't let my cat out of the house. For fresh air she is allowed to go in the enclosed porch and that's that. I was especially frightened for her when a neighbor's huge St. Bernard wandered off to a creek a few streets away and a gator got him.

As entertainment in autumn, fun events and music and art festivals reflecting the region's culture mostly take place outdoors for those who like such things. Still, they are not the colorful "leaves strewn everywhere" that a Northern autumn stages.


.

© Copyright 2023 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1057742-The-Southern-Autumn