*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
7
14
21
28
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1058149-On-Gun-Violence
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#1058149 added October 27, 2023 at 11:46am
Restrictions: None
On Gun Violence
Prompt:
The recent mass shooting in Lewiston, Maine reminds us again about guns not being regulated enough in this country. How do you feel about the current laws on guns? Should the laws be more restrictive? What needs to be done to end gun violence?


--------

Unfortunately, gun violence happens in malls, schools, neighborhoods, and just about everywhere. Do we want to live in fear because guns are so easy to obtain by people who cannot think straight? I think this is the question lawmakers need to answer truthfully without being cajoled by groups that promote pro or anti gun laws. In my opinion, just like the perpetrators, the lawmakers we choose ourselves do not think straight either.

Those proponents of not touching the existing laws claim that background checks, mental health screening, safe storage and education would solve the problem. Anyone who has ever worked in mental health would know that the screening will not work. One never knows when a seemingly normal person could suddenly lose it. For the same reason, background checks are not dependable. Safe storage and education should be done, yes, but there is no safe storage of any kind when it comes to enforcing it. Besides, even little kids nowadays know how to undo anything especially if it involves any technology.

On the other hand, a strict assault weapons ban could work to some degree. In the US, gun laws are under federal and state jurisdiction. Then, the second amendment to the Constitution protects an individual's right to bear arms, which has been a significant influence on gun policy and regulation. I'd say let's go back to the time when the second amendment was ratified and let those guns of that time be okay for bearing arms. No one would touch that, would they!

Then, there are the very varied state laws, where in some states, regulations are more permissive. It's very easy to get an assault weapon in such a state and take it to another less permissive state.

I don't know exactly what the answer is, in view of the political, cultural, and constitutional factors. It seems no single solution exists that could satisfy all sides of the debate, as this is a complex issue; however, my feelings and sixth sense tell me that the laws we have are not protecting us well enough, and I will applaud any legislator that addresses effectively this gun violence problem we're having.


.

© Copyright 2023 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1058149-On-Gun-Violence