*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
2
3
4
5
6
8
9
10
11
12
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1058499-November-1-2023
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #2299971
My journal about my conversion to Judaism.
#1058499 added November 1, 2023 at 8:48pm
Restrictions: None
November 1, 2023
Of all the Jewish food I want to try, I admit I never would have tried Borscht without trust in GZ. Today I made my own version of Borscht. It was pink. Florescent pink. I was worried and thinking of what I might be able to quickly make if I couldn't stomach the taste. I took the Jewish recipes that I saw and combined it when the non-Jewish recipes that I found. I wanted to keep it vegetarian (still not trying to eat meat during the week). I dished a bowl, said my brucha, and took my first bite. It was delicious. The flavor was wonderful. I had eaten beets at my host's house for the high holidays but it was raw, so I had no idea if I would like it or how it the flavor would affect the other vegetables in the soup. Also, it was florescent pink. My recipe as I will make it in the future is below. I did add carrots to my soup this time, but it was too strong of a flavor and overpowered the rest of the soup. No carrots in the future for me. The only spices I added was Mrs. Dash (original), kosher salt, and pepper.

Thank you GZ for all of the ways that you continue to help me on this journey. I feel privileged to call you my friend.

Jeanette's Borscht Recipe
1 medium onion (diced)
2 celery stalks (washed and diced)
10 small red potatoes (peeled, washed and diced)
3 garlic cloves (minced) or 1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 giant (mine was huge) or 3 normal sized fresh beets (washed, peeled, and shredded)
Original Mrs. Dash to taste
Pepper to taste
Kosher salt (very small sprinkling)
Water (cover vegetables with extra water because the potatoes and beets will absorb some)

Boil all vegetables in a pot for at least an hour until potatoes and beets are soft and the broth is florescent pink.
Tastes great with fresh challah!
Enjoy!

© Copyright 2023 Jeanette (UN: babygirl328 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jeanette has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1058499-November-1-2023