*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1059165-Bold--Pungent--Swank--Snarky
Rated: ASR · Book · Contest · #2268413
A place to keep my entries for various contests and challenges
#1059165 added November 8, 2023 at 6:09pm
Restrictions: None
Bold & Pungent = Swank & Snarky
Written for "Invalid Item, prompt: Cook Something Bold and Pungent - not to be confused with above.

What is bold and pungent cooking? It could be many things and one of the first to come to mind is a good chili, another is red beans and rice. Many oriental dishes are also bold and pungent. In fact, in almost any cuisine, there are bold and pungent dishes.

Many of these I find delightful, a few I have tried weren't quite as appetizing the first time around, but the more I indulged, the more the tastes grew on me. There have been some that I found disagreeable with the first bite and even after trying them a second or third time, I knew I would never develop a taste for them. Of course, there have been a few that with the first bite, I knew I would never put something that disgusting into my mouth again!

One such food was a kidney. I had gotten one with a side of beef and researched how to prepare it. Some friends had informed me that kidney, when prepared correctly, was very satisfying. They gave me a recipe and it matched what I had found online, so I set about preparing and cooking the organ so it would be ready when they arrived for dinner.

Shortly after it started cooking, the kitchen was filled with a pungent odor. Not a pleasant odor, but that of urine! By the time my friends arrived, the whole house smelled of urine, but they assured me this was normal and the taste would be very good.

Soon, dinner was ready and my friend carved the meat while I set out the side dishes. Both he and his wife dug right in and enjoyed the meal, but the first taste I had of the sliced kidney was much like it smelled, like a mouth full of urine. I choked it down, but could not force another bite of the foul-tasting and oderous meat.

Luckily, there was plenty of food, and my wife and I filled up on side dishes as they ate over half of the meat. Even with all the wonderful side dishes, it was difficult to enjoy the meal with the urine smell in the house.

We sent lots of leftovers home with them, including the kidney. They couldn't understand why we didn't like it and chalked it up to being an acquired taste. I don't think so, I just don't like the taste of urine.

But, it definately fits the prompt of a bold and pungent food!

A proud member of "WdC SuperPower Reviewers Group

"Reading soothes the soul, writing sets it free." T.J.

© Copyright 2023 tj ~ endeavors to persevere! (UN: callmetj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
tj ~ endeavors to persevere! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1059165-Bold--Pungent--Swank--Snarky