*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1059474-NaBloPoMo14
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #2296648
Left-overs piled on hot rice and mixed.
#1059474 added November 14, 2023 at 11:02am
Restrictions: None
NaBloPoMo#14
Change is in the air. Thai-Winter has arrived. I will need to accept some uncomfortable realities this week. I'll need to remind myself to be kind and pro-active. I may need to 'let go' of cherished dreams and hopes. That's more difficult than losing physical items. I have no emotional reserve left to deal with injustice, sadness and loss.

To SandraLynn Team Florent! in "World Kindness Day Yes, kindness is a key to a happy society. And a kind society is kind to other humans and even animals. I'm usually friendly. I lead with a smile and chit-chat.

But... that's not culturally acceptable everywhere. Smiles can be seen as threatening or goofy. There's a cultural aspect.

And kindness is interpreted by some as weakness. Individuals can be treacherous.

I still try to be kind.


Jeff in "Reports of my demise are greatly exaggerated "Of course... you're not talking about politics... but the similarities are there.

People handicap the political process as if it were a horse race, a popularity contest, or who can shout loudest. This marketing approach ignores substance. And Americans are consumers of products.

Who can win! is more important than a platform. Who can buy an election drowns out competence. Destroying the reputation of the opponent is playing the numbers. And heaven-help the opponent if she's a woman.

In film I remember how much bad press "Brokeback Mountain" received from people who refused to watch it. It was basically banned in Utah. It was 'canceled' before that became common slang.

On social media, posters and comments gain more views when they are outrageously negative. The victim? Truth... because that doesn't matter. At least in sports individuals/teams have to actually show up and play to win, and all the hype or disrespect is secondary."


Lyn's a sly fox in "change and kindness "I'm not good at dealing with change or loss. Just read Sonali's post that her father died today. I really wanted to meet him a couple November's ago and even considered it this year. He was a very interesting person. Now I won't have the chance. My loss.

So... much change... some planned, some anticipated, some... let's not talk about those today. I haven't always made the right choice between zigging and zagging.

I lived in a 'bad' neighborhood for years. I did what I could to disabuse people's notions that it was all 'bad'. I also took in refugees for years. Was it kindness? I did what I could."


I was very tired last night and lay down at midnight. Pan is still at his mother's. I tried sleeping with the windows open but a tad too warm. I may try again later this week as night temperatures will drop.

I made a slight mistake cooking. Used a packet that had some chili in it. Hopefully I eat it small portion at a time. I don't waste food. Pan isn't back and that creates other problems for me.

I need to find a place to move to and I need to get truthful advice regarding my visa. I'm stressed out and there are few people who would understand my options if I explained to them. Thailand has quirky visa rules that change with little notice.

And lodging (friend warned about electric bills), personal relationships, cultural expectations, et cetera... would take too much of my precious time to explain to willing-to-listen but utterly-ignorant friends in Montana or on-line on bookspace or writingdotcom. You-all just don't know! So, I have to figure this out by myself. Good intentions don't matter in a crisis. I have 14 days to figure this out... or else.

I'm tired of fighting the good fight of educating the ignorant. It's hard to crack open minds when hearts remain closed. My responses to social media comments:

Joseph Tramelli: Not everyone is from your culture... and that goes for everyone who comments on social media. I've traveled the world and I've been in Thailand for one year. Masculinity isn't defined in the same way as White Euro-American Christians. And even here... attitudes and customs change.

Taylor Swan: Or from a different culture. Gender is defined differently in Thailand; and amazingly, most people just accept other people as they are without faux-outraged angst.


Tiffiny Lawrie: Star Trek ruined a generation because they included an interracial kiss and lovable aliens. These were not acceptable in segregated Amerikkka during a war on the non-humans of Viet Nam. *sarcasm* ... dripping. I'm in my 70s.


Carly Kay: It may mean that you are a tolerant decent human being (of any age). One of the lessons of a Buddhist culture like Thailand is learning to 'let go'. I struggle with that here in Udon Thani.


765 words
385

© Copyright 2023 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1059474-NaBloPoMo14