*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1059857-Stability-in-Mercy
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Emotional · #2307137
A hamlet in a remote region of its island country experiences the effects of the Rapture.
#1059857 added January 2, 2024 at 2:04am
Restrictions: None
Stability in Mercy
"Folks, we've been kept alive for only The Lord knows what," Bud said. "We've experienced terrible losses today. We're out in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean with no food and no water. We're 20 people cramped together in a small boat with rescue nowhere in sight, but we are alive for the moment. If you've become a Christian in the past couple of days because you realized, that you are part of the Elect, and the Lord has shown you signs of life in yourself, then please pray for someone to come to rescue us in the next few hours or at least the next two days. I don't know how many of us will survive past the next 48 hours."

The group nodded, "Yes," bowing forward in apparent silent prayer.

Bud waited a few minutes, then said, "Please, feel free to keep praying as you're able, but I need to give some instructions to my men. Jerome, were you able to keep the binoculars on your person, during that amazing feat of riding the waves?"

"Yes, Chief, I've got them," Jerome said.

"Then, will you use them to scan the horizon for ships?" Bud asked.

"I will, Sir," he said. "I'm on it."

"Rich, did you perchance pick up any kind of food on the way out to the boat, and do you still have that with you?" Bud asked.

"I picked up two bags of pumpkin seeds, Chief," he said.

"Then, please offer them to anyone, who is starting to feel faint," Bud said.

Jerome continued to scan, and Rich helped a few folks to get a little nourishment.

"George, stay at the ready to help anyone, who needs to pee," Bus said, "Hanging off the side of the boat may maintain at least a little modesty."

"What about the risk of sea creatures?" George asked.

"Anyone, who is afraid may pee in place," Bud said. "I'm sorry, everyone. I know that is a shameful thought, and we don't want to feel like we're smelly to the others, but with the heat, we're going to sweat, and many of us are already sunburned. I don't know how we're going to get back to land without an insane amount of discomfort. Do the best you can to deal with physical needs, and I'm counting on all of us to love each other through this dark valley."

"Got it, Chief. I'll help whoever I can help however I can help them," George said.

"Chief, I think I've got something," Jerome said.

"Where is it?" Bud asked.

"With the sun at 12 o'clock, the thing I'm seeing is at 1 o'clock on the horizon line," he said.

"Let me look," Bud said.

Jerome handed him the binoculars, pointing in the general direction. In a few moments, Bud said, "I see it right at the horizon line. That means it's about 3 miles away. It's hard to make out but from this distance, it looks like a 50-foot schooner. Were any of you ladies able to grab a purse or a clutch on the way to the boat?"

Half a dozen hands raised.

"Please, take out your make-up mirrors, and start pointing them in that direction. May the Lord help them to see our flickering light," Bud said. "Keep watching that ship, Jerome. Let me know if the ship gets larger, and seems to be headed this way."

"Will do, Chief," he said.

"Ladies, please keep finding the sweet spot in the sunlight, and send your best beam in the direction of that ship," Bud said.

They all nodded in the affirmative.

In about ten minutes, Jerome spoke in an animated voice, "Chief, they've seen us. They've tripled in size. They can't be more than a mile away."

"Great work, Jerome," Bud said. "Ladies, let your little lights shine."

They all smiled.

Another ten minutes went by as the sailboat, Grace, pulled alongside the little boat with haggard occupants. "Ho, my good people," the Captain shouted. "Wish thee a ride? Or doest thee grow accustomed to thy boat?"

"We are more than ready for a ride, my Good Captain," Bud said. "Do you have room for twenty?"

"We have room for twice that, but we have yet to see your second vessel," he chuckled.

"It's just us, Captain," Bud said. "We're all in need of a good meal, a spot of tea, and a bunk for an afternoon nap, if you can spare those, but we are so grateful to see you. And that, more than we can express."

"Aye. We have that and more for ye, Kind Sir," the Captain smiled. "We'll lower a rope ladder for those, who can climb, but fer those, who are too weak, we have a swing to haul ye up."

"I think most will need the latter, not the ladder," Bud winked.

"So, yer a comedian as well a Captain, I see," the ship's captain said.

"Not a great one, but I have been trying to keep spirits up, today," Bud said.

"Oh. If it's spirits ye want, then we'll pop some corks on the bottles ye need when yer on board," the Captain smiled.

"We'll have to look into that," Bud said. "Thanks for your hospitality. Would you mind, if I have a name, Captain?"

"I don't mind, if you have a name, Captain," he smirked. "Who be ye?"

"I am Police Chief Bud Best of the now-aptly named, former island of Nevermore. Our town was Fairly Same, but the same it's not anymore," Bud said. "We have quite a number of stories to tell in order to keep you entertained for quite a while."

The 20 had been slowly hauled up into The Lord's Good Ship Grace. Finally, the Captain called down to Bud, "Would ye be ready to come aboard? If ye likes the view from down there, by all means, stay, but if ye wouldst grab hold of our swing, and leave yer boat adrift in the vast ocean, then we have a new view for you. Like ye poetry?"

"Among other things," Bud smiled. He watched the little boat fall away from him as he swung higher into the much larger ship. On deck, he took one last look at the last vestige of Nevermore Island, saluting with a tear coursing down his cheek.

"That must have been some experience, Police Chief," the ship's Captain said.

"It was, indeed," Bud said. "By the way, I never got your name."

"That's because I never gave it," he winked, "I'm Bob Blessing. So, we have initials in common. Sorry for the bad accent, I was just messing with you."

"You definitely had me going, Bob," Bud said. "This is one of the finest vessels I've ever been aboard. I didn't notice the usual three letters, like 'HMS' in front of Grace."

"That's because we are not 'Her Majesty's Ship,' Captain Bob said. "We are officially 'MLS' or 'My Lord's Ship,' but since we try to fly 'under the radar,' simpler seems better."

"Who is the Lord of this ship?" Bud asked.

"Why Jesus Christ, of course," Captain Bob smiled. "He is the 'King of Kings and Lord of Lords.' Why do you ask?"

"I only recently became a Christian," Bud said, "and I could use a good mentor, Bob."

"Then, you've come among friends, Brother," Captain Bob said. "We are a sailing vessel, that combs this ocean, looking for lost mariners, like yourselves. Our home base is the Island, called Mercy, and our hometown is Stability. Our home is about 100 nautical miles south of the island, that used to be your home."

"Is there a place for us on your island?" Bud asked.

"We have more land than you could ever imagine," Captain Bob said, "and we are left alone by the world, amazingly enough. They've yet to find us because the contour of our homeland is not easily seen by earthly eyes, nor tools. You'll see what I meant. We should be back in our home port by late tomorrow evening. For now, Chief, go get some food and drink. Take a nap, and be at peace. You are safe here."

"I'm very much obliged, Captain," Bud said.

"Boson, guide our esteemed guest to the galley, and make sure he is satisfied."

"Aye-aye, Captain," the boson saluted.

Bud ate his meal, was guided to an excellent berth, and laid down for a long nap.

Near sunset, Bob awoke groggy and disoriented. Stretching and yawning removed many of the cobwebs, and he moved topside to view the brilliant spectacle of the ocean's amazing, big sky sunset.

"Feeling better, Bud?" Captain Bob was in his usual jovial mood.

"I am, Bob. Thanks for everything," he said. "You've done so much for our community, today. In some ways, you're like the Lord Jesus Himself. You've saved us from the brink of our existence, physically as He has done for many of us, spiritually."

"That sounds like an excellent place to start our conversation, Bud. I understand by yours words, that you are now a Christian, but you haven't been for long."

"Quite true," Bud said. "Recently, my men and I started studying The Bible in order to find some tips for surviving on an island that had recently sunk by two-thirds, taking our homes, and livelihood with it."

"What did you find?" Captain Bob asked.

"We found in Daniel and Revelation verses, that resembled the catastrophes we have experienced in recent days," Bud said. "Then, my wife, Cynthia, and I had a big discussion about the TULIP of Calvinism. During that discussion, I became aware, that I cared about God. (I had been an atheist up until that time.) I cared that He existed, and I cared whether or not I was one of the Elect."

"You began to see the characteristics of the regenerated in your life, did you?" Captain Bob asked.

"I did," Bud said, "and I was glad, that I did."

"Would you like to review the TULIP," Captain Bob asked. "You've been through quite a bit. The exercise, mentally and spiritually, could help to anchor your faith."

"Sure, I'd like that," Bud said.

"On Mercy Island, we all believe Calvin's TULIP," Captain Bob said. "We live it. We teach it. We preach it. We evangelize using the TULIP as the foundation for all we do. What is the TULIP in your own words, Bud?"

"The TULIP stands for Total Depravity, Unconditional Election, Limited Atonement, Irresistible Grace, and the Perseverance of the Saints," Bud said.

"That is an excellent rendering of the acrostic, Dear Brother," said Captain Bob, "but what meaneth these things?"

"Total Depravity means that I can't save myself because I am completely 'dead in trespasses and sins,' and as such I am wholly beyond feeling anything, spiritually because I am born with my spirit still-born (dead.)"

"Excellent. Please continue."

"Regarding Unconditional Election, I am unable to save myself because I must be chosen by God from the Foundation of the world, and written in the Lamb's Book of Life before the Earth was formed," Bud said.

"Two for two. I want to hear more."

"Limited Atonement means, that Jesus shed His Precious Blood for no one, but The Elect. Therefore, we know He shed no Blood for anyone, who would ultimately be in Hell. Such Grace would be ineffectual, and a wasteful effort for Jesus."

"Another strong point. Please continue."

"Irresistible Grace means, that I come to Christ because I am made able to want to come to Christ. He saves me not against my will. He saves me, and my will has come to agree with His Will. (Philippians 2:13, and John 6:37,44, KJV) He works with my heartstrings the way a piano tuner works with piano strings. The piano strings are made to sound like its perfect pitch. I am made to worship my Lord. Bringing the out-of-tune in-tune renders joy to both piano and human."

"Well said, Sir," Captain Bob smiled. "There is yet one more."

"The Perseverance of the Saints means once a person has been brought to The Lord as a gift from Father to Son (John 6:37, KJV,) that individual can never be lost, again because The Lord, Who has received him or her, protects the same in His very Hands. Nothing can take a saint out of the Hands of The Lord, and even the saint can't take himself out of the Lord's Hands. Salvation is a done deal. Once done, it can't be undone. Let's review John 6:37 in the KJV to see this operation of the Holy Spirit at work. 'All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.' Every Christian is selected by The Father to be given to His Son, Jesus, as an eternal gift. The Holy Spirit operates on the Elect One, according to Philippians 2:13, KJV, 'For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.' Jesus receives each of these good gifts from His Father before the Foundation of the world to be written in The Lamb's Book of Life, counting it a done deal, long before The Elect person is ever born. Whatever Jesus does is done in agreement with The Father and The Holy Spirit. Whatever The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit do is done for Eternity. Whatever is written in The Word of God is unchangeable, and is considered to be done, even if it is currently in the future from our human perspective, although everything in Eternity is currently done in The Present, and in Christ is Yea, and AMEN."

"Well said, my Brother," Captain Bob smiled. "It is nearly impossible to write infinite concepts with finite words. Wouldn't you agree?"

"I would, indeed," Bud nodded his assent. "I have come to understand this as an academic process, but I keep seeing verses, like Ephesians 2:8-9, KJV, that reads, 'For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.'"

"What troubles you about this verse, my Brother?" Captain Bob asked.

"It keeps me unsettled, that Salvation seems to need to be grace received by faith, but I've always been a man of action," Bud said. "Is it possible for me to have faith because I'm rarely still. I'm always doing stuff. When do I ever stand around, and just receive something by faith? I don't want to miss Heaven because I understood the TULIP in my head, but not in my heart."

"That is an excellent observation and question, Bud," Bob smiled. "Who told you, that faith is something you use only when you're standing still?"

"I don't know. I guess I just assumed-"

"You just assumed, that faith is passive," Bob said, "Many people think this way, but faith is such a strong word, Bud. We must exercise faith when standing still and when running at full speed ahead. You have been in many challenging scenarios, recently, like getting 20 people into a small boat. You had to exercise faith, that your muscles would support you in helping all those people. You exercised faith, that the boat would get you to me, even before you saw, that I was at the other end of your journey. When a person exercises faith, unto the saving of his soul, he's not working to be saved. He is taking The Word of God at face value, stepping into the boat of Grace, not as a work, but as a change of heart and mind, riding in the boat of Grace, even before the ship from the land of Mercy is ever seen, and ever arrives to carry him the rest of the way. Launching out in Grace often seems to be a fool's errand by the world, but The Lord saves those Elect, who trust Him continually, regardless of what looks may say. The Lord's Word is His Bond. Faith is expecting Him to be as good as his Word."

Bud sighed a long breath, smiled, and wiped yet another tear of joy.


Here is yet another signature, that has been provided for me by my good friends, WS & GG.
Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.
© Copyright 2024 Jay O'Toole (UN: 777stan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jay O'Toole has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1059857-Stability-in-Mercy