*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1059916-Mercy-Island
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Emotional · #2307137
A hamlet in a remote region of its island country experiences the effects of the Rapture.
#1059916 added January 2, 2024 at 2:51am
Restrictions: None
Mercy Island
Sailing, eating, drinking, sleeping, and resting the mind for a day and a half had been the Balm of Gilead to Bud's soul. In the middle of the afternoon on day #2, Bud leaned against the ship's railing. While in a peaceful state, "Land Ho!" careened from the crow's nest.

"Time to look lively, and tidy up the ship for putting into our home, my fellows," quoth Captain Bob. Looking to Bud, he continued, "'Bout time to show thee, thy new home, dear floating mariner."

"I'm all for that," Bud said. Raising his voice he shouted, "Officers, report!"

In mere moments, he stood saluting Jerome, Rich, and George. "We're ready for your command, Chief," Jerome said.

"Please, roust the citizens of Fairly Same, and let them know, that if they wish to view their new home when it comes in sight, then they should be climbing to the foredeck in the fewest of moments," Bud ordered with a wink.

"Aye-aye, Chief," sang they three in chorus, saluting once again.

Bud saluted back, and intoned, "Dismissed."

Bud turned to Captain Bob, "How large is Mercy Island, Captain?"

"Have you ever been to the Caribbean?" he asked.

"I have as a matter of fact," Bud said. "I took a cruise. Our ports of call were St. Thomas and Sint Maarten."

"I know them well," Bob smiled, "Imagine their combined land mass as a single island. That's Mercy Island."

"Excellent," Bud said. "Is your main industry tourism, like those islands?"

"Hardly," Captain Bob said in an offhand way, "the outworlders have yet to find us, remember? Our main commerce is the reading of God's Word, and training missionaries to be sent into all the world."

"How does that make money?" Bud asked.

"Oh. It doesn't make money," Captain Bob smiled. "God meets our needs, and we obey His Great Commission."

"Do you folks grow your own food?" Bud asked.

"We do, indeed," Captain Bob assured him, "but there is no buying and selling of food on Mercy Island. We supply food to our residents, and what we have left over we store, and carry with us on the next evangelistic ship that leaves for Africa or South America. We have made it all the way to The States in recent years. We go wherever The Lord opens the door for our witness to His great Grace and Mercy. It's not a social Gospel. The food helps us to open up opportunities for the Lord to tenderize hearts to receive the Gospel."

"What is the response to the Gospel message?" Bud asked.

"Pretty much the same as always," Captain Bob said, "Some will be confirmed as Elect. Some won't be in His Book. Soli Deo Gloria."

"Ultimately, I'd like to learn about your lifestyle of ministry," Bud said, "but for now, if you don't mind, I'd like to learn about our new home."

"I wouldn't have it any other way," Captain Bob said. "We're pulling into the Port of the Called. Everyone enters Mercy here. Those, who enter, are always safe. (John 6:37, KJV) The Port is inside the Bay of Grace, which is where the ship gets its name. Once ashore, we'll pass through Check Point Jesus, where all documentation will have the stamp of the Blood of Jesus. I am aware, that you folks don't have any documentation, due to the rogue waves and earthquakes, that took your island but have no fear The Lord Jesus Himself always shows up when outworlders approach. Jesus has the last word. If He knows you are in The Lamb's Book of Life, then He prepares your documentation personally. If you're not in the Book, then He ushers that individual to the ferry, labeled, Not Mine, to be buckled in for the ride to the mainland, where you will live out the rest of your days in the New World Tech system of B. East, ID #666."

The ship snuggled up to the dock, and the gangplank was lowered into place. Captain Bob stayed at the helm, while two of his men helped the newcomers at the top of the gangplank, and another two helped them at the bottom of the gangplank. The rest of the crew lined the side of the ship to wave, "Goodbye" to their guests.

"Thank you so much for your hospitality and for saving us from the wide, wide ocean," Bud said.

"You are more than welcome," Captain Bob smiled. "Be aware, Bud, that all must be tried by fire by the Eyes of Jesus, Whose Eyes of Flame pierce through every ungodly and impure motive. Not all of your town are part of The Lamb's Book of Life. The tears you will see and experience at the port will be worse than any you have known thus far, but be strong. The Lord Jesus has a purpose, and that purpose will be shown to you in due season. Trust Him above all else. He knows His own, and He loses, not one of them. I am more than glad to share my ship with you all."

Bud fell in line at the end of the row of Fairly Same townspeople. The row was pretty long for 20 people because they walked at different gaits. Jerome First approached the Lord Jesus at the checkpoint. He said, "Welcome, Jerome, enter into the joy of your Lord."

Rich Deux came next. He said, "Welcome, Rich, enter into the joy of your Lord."

George Board stepped up to face the Lord. He said, "Welcome, George, enter into the joy of your Lord."

Grady Barnes walked up next. He said, "Welcome, Grady, enter into the joy of your Lord."

Bubba John Trax walked to the Lord. He said, "Welcome, Bubba John, enter into the joy of your Lord."

Pearl Trax made her way right behind John. He said, "Welcome, Pearl, enter into the joy of your Lord."

Lem Cutter was next in line to see the Lord. He said, "Welcome, Lem, enter into the joy of your Lord."

Cora Cutter walked a step behind her husband. She presented herself to the Lord. The Lord said, "Stop. Who are you?"

"I'm Cora Cutter, Lem's wife, Lord," she cried. "Don't you know me?"

"I've never known you," The Lord said. "Michael, take her and strap her into the ship for the mainland. She may not dwell on the Island of Mercy."

"NO! NO! NO! NO! NOOOOOO!" Cora screamed, "Please, Lord, don't take me away from Lem. I'm been a good wife. I listened to the long discussion about the TULIP. Lem is part of the Elect. Am I not?"

"No. I'm sorry," The Lord said. "I never knew you."

Cora grabbed Lem's arm, "Help me!" she screamed. "Don't let him take me away from you. LEM!"

Lem reached for her arm, but Michael brushed him out of the way with one arm, picking up Cora with the other arm. With a dozen strides, he pushed her into the ship, marked, "Not Mine," strapping her in without any possibility of parole.

"But, Lord, she's my wife," Lem pleaded.

"What's done is done," The Lord said. "It is 'fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.' (Matthew 3:15, KJV) Please, move along."

Lem could still hear Cora screaming from the ship, but he nodded, and said, "Yes, Lord," moving forward.

The rest of the line behind Cora felt ill at ease. Yet, still, they all moved toward the Lord.

Calvin Tulip now took tentative steps toward his Lord. He said, "Welcome, Calvin, enter into the joy of your Lord."

Grace Tulip nearly plastered herself on Calvin's back, but she did muster the courage to pause and stand for a moment when she came even with the Lord. He said, "Welcome, Grace," enter into the joy of your Lord." She breathed a sigh of relief.

Pace Kerr was the next to meet the Lord. He said, "Welcome, Pace, enter into the joy of your Lord."

Walking in Pace's shadow was his wife, Varuma Kerr. She presented herself to the Lord. The Lord said, "Stop. Who are you?"

"I'm Varuma Kerr, Pace's wife, Lord," she cried. "Don't you know me?"

"I've never known you," The Lord said. "Michael, take her and strap her into the ship for the mainland. She may not dwell on the Island of Mercy."

"NO! NO! NO! NO! NOOOOOO!" Varuma screamed, "Please, Lord, don't take me away from Pace. I'm been a good wife. I listened to the long discussion about the TULIP. Pace is part of the Elect. Am I not?"

"No. I'm sorry," The Lord said. "I never knew you."

Varuma grabbed Pace's arm, "Help me!" she screamed. "Don't let him take me away from you. PACE!"

Pace reached for her arm, but Michael brushed him out of the way with one arm, picking up Varuma with the other arm. With a dozen strides, he pushed her into the ship, marked, "Not Mine," strapping her in, next to Cora without any possibility of parole.

"But, Lord, she's my wife," Pace pleaded.

"What's done is done," The Lord said. "It is 'fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.' (Matthew 3:15, KJV) Please, move along."

Pace could still hear Varuma screaming from the ship along with Cora, but he nodded, and said, "Yes, Lord," moving forward.

The rest of the line behind Varuma felt a greater sense of ill at ease. Yet, still, they all moved toward the Lord.

Altimus Gonzalez took a deep breath and strode toward his Lord. He said, "Bienvenidos, Altimus, enter into the joy of your Lord." What a relaxing release of breath his was.

Rosa Gonzalez smiled weakly as she bowed her head before the Lord. He said, "Bienvenidos, Rosa, enter into the joy of your Lord."

Israel Incarnación walked to the Lord. He said, "Bienvenidos, Israel, enter into the joy of your Lord.

Libertad Incarnación virtually floated to the Lord. He said, "Bienvenidos, Libertad, enter into the joy of your Lord."

Griffin Fliar was the uneasiest of all the men. He walked tentatively to the Lord. The Lord said, "Stop. Who are you?"

"I'm Griffin Fliar, Lord," he cried. "Don't you know me?"

"I've never known you," The Lord said. "Michael, take him and strap him into the ship for the mainland. He may not dwell on the Island of Mercy."

"NO! NO! NO! NO! NOOOOOO!" Griffin shouted, "Please, Lord, don't take me away from this place. I've been a good man and husband. I listened to the long discussion about the TULIP. If the others are part of the Elect. Why am I not?"

"Your name's not written in the Book of Life," The Lord said. "I never knew you."

Griffin looked back at Bud, "Help me!" he shouted. "Don't let him take me away from this place. BUD!"

Griffin tried to run, but Michael grabbed him up with one arm. With a dozen strides, he pushed him into the ship, marked, "Not Mine," strapping him in, next to Cora and Varuma without any possibility of parole.

"But, Lord, he helped to save some people from the waves," Bud said.

"What's done is done," The Lord said. "It is 'fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.' (Matthew 3:15, KJV) Please, next person, come along."

They could all still hear Griffin shouting from the ship along with the screaming Cora and Varuma.

Finally, Phoenix Fliar, Griffin's wife, moved forward. She presented herself to the Lord. The Lord said, "Stop. Who are you?"

"I'm Phoenix Fliar, Griffin's wife, Lord," she cried. "Don't you know me?"

"I've never known you, and I don't know of whom you speak," The Lord said. "Michael, take her and strap her into the ship for the mainland. She may not dwell on the Island of Mercy."

"NO! NO! NO! NO! NOOOOOO!" Phoenix screamed, "Please, Lord, don't take me away from this place. I've been a good woman and wife. I listened to the long discussion about the TULIP. My friends are part of the Elect. Why am I not?"

"Your name's not written in the Book of Life," The Lord said. "I never knew you."

Phoenix looked back at Bud, "Help me!" she screamed. "Don't let him take me away from this place. BUD!"

Phoenix tried to run, but Michael grabbed her up with one arm. With a dozen strides, he pushed her into the ship, marked, "Not Mine," strapping her in, next to Cora, Varuma, and Griffin without any possibility of parole.

"But, Lord, she helped to save some people from the waves," Bud said.

"What's done is done," The Lord said. "It is 'fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.' (Matthew 3:15, KJV) Please, come along."

They could all still hear Phoenix screaming from the ship along with Cora, Varuma, and Griffin.

Cynthia looked at Bud. "Go along, Sweetheart. It's okay. We're part of the Elect."

Cynthia Best looked at the Lord and walked toward him. Cynthia Best mustered the courage to stand in front of the Lord. He said, "Welcome, Cynthia, enter into the joy of your Lord."

Finally, it was Bud's turn. Bud Best walked before the Lord. He said, "Welcome, Bud, enter into the joy of your Lord."

"Lord, permission to speak freely," Bud said.

"Go ahead, Son, you are a good and faithful servant."

"How do I live at peace in the land of Mercy when so many people under my care have been lost, since the Rapture? I feel like a failure."

"My Word stands firm, Bud," the Lord said. "I will become clearer to you the more you know My Word."


Here is yet another signature, that has been provided for me by my good friends, WS & GG.
Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.
© Copyright 2024 Jay O'Toole (UN: 777stan at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jay O'Toole has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1059916-Mercy-Island