*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1059876-Almost-Winter
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#1059876 added November 21, 2023 at 11:02am
Restrictions: None
Almost Winter
Blogging Circle of Friends

Day 3928: November 21, 2023

Prompt: “In November you begin to know how long the winter will be.”
Martha Gellhorn

Use this quote to inspire your blog entry.
         
         
         
Oh, this is very true! I understand why winter is referred to as the long night. The 'new' darkness seems to be extra black and impenetrable. I already miss the longer hours of glorious daylight. Often I have no concept of time. It's only six p.m.? It feels like bedtime.
         On the grey sun-less days, and there are far too many of them, the local landscape appears bleak. Gone are the vibrant leaves of crimson, gold and orange. Maple and oak trees stand naked with exposed spindly arms thrashing in the cold winds. Even the nearby lake resembles a washed-out , pale quilt.
         Dressing for the outdoors is a guessing game. The weather is moody and confused. During one recent day everything was thrown at us. The sun beamed, a blizzard descended and obscured the horizon, torrential rain hammered the earth, only for it all to be repeated in an endless manic loop.
         It is the season though for Santa Claus Parades and a plethora of Christmas themed craft bazaars/ bake sales/ concerts and such. The message is clear: Christmas is coming, be prepared. There are so many talented, creative people!
         What do I take away from this? Ignore the weather, it is what it is. Find something to keep yourself busy and your mind occupied. Six months of winter is bearable if you do. There is only so much moaning and lamenting we can endure. November is the buffer month, but it is limited to thirty days. Thirty days to adjust and acclimate.

© Copyright 2023 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1059876-Almost-Winter