*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1060089-Childhood-Memories
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#1060089 added November 25, 2023 at 10:58am
Restrictions: None
Childhood Memories
Prompt:
Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmastime.” ― Laura Ingalls Wilder
Talk about childhood memories.

---------

I was an only child to four women, my mother, my grandmother, my aunt, and my grandmother's foster daughter who lived with us all her life. There were men there, of course, but my most intimate relationships were mostly focused on these women. Even after my aunt got married and moved away, she and I were just as important to each other, especially since she couldn't have any children of her own, and I always felt so blessed and lucky to be mothered by four women.

Yet, I was lonely. I always envied people with brothers and sisters and thought, despite all their fights and quarrels and jealousies, they had the upper hand. Now, in old age, I can see that conviction wasn't so far off. Yet, I'm still lucky since I have cousins.

My mother tried to take care of my alone and lonely child syndrome by inviting all their friends' children over. Some I couldn't relate to, others I could, but my favorite friends were my cousins.

My uncles left at least one or two of my cousins to stay with us for weeks at a time when they didn't have school. To this day, one of my cousins who is a year younger than me has been my best friend. I think most of my cousins think they are my best friend, too, btw.

My cousins and I always got into something childish, funny, and full of mischief, which greatly entertained me. When the entire family gathered around the table, Christmas or not, we kids had our own table on the side, so we could plan our escapades and giggle at our internal jokes.

When alone, though, I was a very quiet child who read all the time. Yet, I had the most fun when my cousins were there. My mother used to say, I turned into someone different when my cousins arrived. a kind of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, I guess.

Once, my cousins and I, a whole bunch of us, went out of the house without telling anyone we were going and we got caught in the rain and came back like wet rats. The worried adults didn't know whether to scold us or to hug us.

Then, at another time, my granduncle took all of us to a local fair and he had to pay a lump sum to the guys who operated a certain kind of swings so they would take only my cousins and me for a few rides.

My childhood memories linger, evoking nostalgia and a deep appreciation for the fleeting beauty of those formative years. Throughout my so-called adulthood, these memories have served as a source of solace, reminding me of the joy of belonging and the innocence of my earlier times.



.


© Copyright 2023 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1060089-Childhood-Memories