*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1060149-Sleigh-Bells-Ring
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#1060149 added November 26, 2023 at 11:07am
Restrictions: None
Sleigh Bells Ring
Prompt: Use these lyrics to inspire your entry today: Sleigh bells ring, are you listening? In the lane, snow is glistening. A beautiful sight. We're happy tonight. Walking in a winter wonderland. Have fun!

---------

As old as I am, I never rode in a carriage with sleigh bells ringing. What did I miss? Where was I when the whole world was having such fun? These questions I ask myself.

Chances are whoever wrote this carol forgot about the cold of the winter, too, which I am not a fan of. Seriously!

Still, "Sleigh bells ring, are you listening? In the lane, snow is glistening" opens the door to a world adorned in the magic of winter. The scene is a tranquil field or a lane, where the snow lays like a delicate blanket, reflecting the soft glow of winter's light. Picturesque, right? Okay, again, what about the cold?

"A beautiful sight. We're happy tonight. Walking in a winter wonderland." Walking? In the cold? Why aren't they in the sleigh wrapped in blankets? Yet, the song has a punch to it spiced with merriment and celebration. In this winter wonderland, happiness abounds, and the world seems to pause, allowing those walkers, not me, to embrace the magic that unfolds with each step.

As much as this carol reminds me of the cold, it is a mood lifter and it does capture the essence of the holiday season when, even after the season is over, memories that linger keep running through our minds, especially because Johnny Mathis sang this carol so well, stretching each word in it in his inimitable fashion. Thus, I salute it, lifting my cup of eggnog to it. "Cheers!"


.


© Copyright 2023 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1060149-Sleigh-Bells-Ring