*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1060331-Be-Yourself
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#1060331 added November 30, 2023 at 10:21am
Restrictions: None
Be Yourself!
Prompt:
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
Write about this in your Blog entry today.


---------

Such a wise quote! And no wonder, since I believe Oscar Wilde has said it.

In its core, the quote reminds us that it is futile to try to mimic others as each person is an individual with his or her own experiences, beliefs, and emotions. Attempting to be someone else or to be like someone else means overlooking the richness of our own identity.

Yet, why the people even attempt to copy others? It is mostly because of upbringing and social pressure. Once upon a time, when one of my aunts told my two very young cousins to emulate me only because I was good in school and wasn't much trouble, I jumped right in and said, "No, they are better than me." I was in my late teens then. And I was right. They are two very wonderful, accomplished women today who may have turned out to be much nicer than me. At least, I think so.

Being ourselves requires courage. It means embracing our quirks, knowing our strengths and weaknesses and breaking free from the fear of judgment, rejection, the noise of fame, and all external influences. Everyone's life journey is unique and whether or not Wilde really spoke these words, the depth of meaning in this quote will echo through time and every culture.


.


© Copyright 2023 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1060331-Be-Yourself