*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1060393-That-Snow-Globe-World
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#1060393 added December 1, 2023 at 2:25pm
Restrictions: None
That Snow-Globe World
Prompt:
Let this quote inspire your entry: "Snow flurries began to fall and they swirled around people's legs like house cats. It was magical, this snow globe world." — Sarah Addison Allen
Have fun!


-----------

Anything about cats, especially those cats that "swirl around people's legs," is like heaven and I'm mush. On the other hand, I don't have the same positive feeling about snow. True, it looks good and fancy, but I've shoveled enough snow in my past and shivered enough in the cold to find a soft spot in my heart for snow.

Yet, the best kind of snow is the one that is captured and incarcerated inside a snow globe. That globe, a fragile sphere of glass, captures a fleeting moment in time in a scene that transports me to a serene and magical landscape.

I like to shake the snow globes just to watch the flurry of those tiny snowflakes dance and twirl, while the world under inside the glass is transformed into a winter wonderland. There, the rooftops of charming cottages are crowned with glistening icicles, and smoke curls from chimneys into the crisp, cold air while people stroll through the village square bundled up in scarves and hats as their children play on the snow. Even with the depiction of people here, a sense of stillness is in this setting, as if a world untouched by time that is made to stay inside a perpetual winter scene.

Is this really a world of tranquility and nostalgia with quiet reflection and enchantment? Or is it a miniature, fake universe created for our momentary escaping from the real world? I bet the answer is yes to both.

As for me, I'd rather watch the snow inside a snow-globe rather than braving it in a real wintry scene. After all, this world in snow is hushed, beautiful, and I don't feel the cold.


.

© Copyright 2023 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1060393-That-Snow-Globe-World