*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1060409-Chapter-9
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #2309407
They are given a task to acquire a dragon's egg, by a merchant paying size able sum.
#1060409 added December 3, 2023 at 9:41pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 9
The life boats bobbed about in the water as the crew members and them swam as if their very lives depended upon them arriving there. The water was cold, there was sea weed that clung to their bodies as they swam as if they had to find the life boats as if their lives depended upon this happening to them. The water was frothing, the water was a tempest in a tea cup. The sea weed clung to them like barnacles, weighing them down, their muscles were tired and drawn to their very end. A hand reached out and grabbed Shallynne’s wrist,

Thallin felt something fall upon his arm, it held him taunt there, this object drew his head up from the cold, numbing cold to fill his head from the water he spat out the salt water that poured down his throat, his eyes watered, and Creeton felt something grab him by the staff he held in his hands. Creeton struggled, fought to hold onto his staff. His head popped out of the water, he saw the face of a sailor who held his staff.
Our boar bobbed about in the water, there were several boats in the water.

Captain Java glared at us he brought his hand into his glove and was afraid of what they were doing. He knew he had to get into one of the boats that were above the water. He looked nervously about, he know what seen in the murky depths of the water. A kracken appeared here, he saw its tentacles crush his ship with in its grasp.

He was fearful of what happened here. They had a lantern on the life boats. The lanterns were lit, there was a dense fog on the water, The crew did not believe that the ship was anywhere near any other ship in these waters.

When the sun they found themselves to be with in a visual distance from another ship. This ship had drawing of dragon coming off of the mission mast breathing fire. They crew of this ship slowed their speed to take them from the water.

The crew threw nets down to the lifeboats that were in the water there, they and the crew members climbed up the nets to get out of the water, The biggest man looked at the sailors and them in disgust, and asked “What happened?”

As the crew and them got aboard the ship, the captain approached this man and said, “We have encountered a Kracken in these waters, May Mirans protect us. If I lie I will die by her hand.”

“Nonsense. There have no sightings of them in these waters for as long as I can remember, if ever.” The large man said.

“Then what else has tentacles large enough to crash against the mast head from the very depth of the water?” Java asked as he brought himself to his feet.

Creeton looked as if he had been struck, by the captain’s daring to mention a god’s name. He was frightened, he knew he could not dare to mention his lady’s name ever. If he was to, he would be damned. Creeton lifted his hand to allow Shallynne to gain her feet, she was on her feet, she walked toward Java.

Java was fearful of what she would do now. Java stepped backwards he stumbled and fell to crash against the side of the ship, his eyes had grown wide, his mouth was a gape. He was trembling, and said, “Keep her away from me,”

“Why are you afraid of her or are you saying, that perhaps she was responsible for this happening?” the man asked a grin appeared. The crew laughed.

“Yes, I believe she is responsible for her to have done this to us,” Java said as crawled away from her.

Shallynne faced the man speaking, She bowed, and said,”I am thankful for your assistance in this matter. I did not catch your name.”

“I am Taka. We are going to the continent to the south, we have been sent here by our bishop. I will take you, and the other two to see the continent as well. He will have no say as to what we do with you, About the sacrilegious man who has come aboard our ship.” the big man said as he held out his hand to take Shallynne’s hand in his.

Creeton and Thallin got to their feet and walked with Taka toward the quarterdeck, there stood two guards before the door, They looked at Taka, and the three others he brought with him there. The larger of the two said,”Why are you here?”

“I take it, that one of these people is a cleric, I think the bishop may wish to speak to him?”

Thallin saw a man with a staff of a nude woman whose face was dark. He recognized the staff he carried. The man he had seen in the Hung Goblin carried such a staff as this. The man whom he had seen in the tavern had a great deal of coin. But seemed as if he had no idea what the coins he held had meant. He was puzzled by what he had given to the tavern owner. Thallin approached this man. Fear slipped and slithered into his heart and head. His skin was pale.

The man looked at him confused, stroked his bearded chin with his forefinger and asked, “What do you know of this matter. Was it, what the called it?”

“I suspect it was an octopus or maybe a squid. I would not call it a kracken unless a Kracken can do this to a ship. If it is, then it could very well be a kracken.” Thallin supplied.

“Can you take us to the southern continent?” Creeton asked as he walked carefully to the two of them was at ease in doing this.

The man turned to face Creeton, he looked him over as if to access his value, he did notice the staff that Creeton was holding. He stepped away from him, he looked away from him as if offend him.

Shallynne looked at the crew of this vessel, they moved as if they were one person, the task was unable to fail. The ship was able to allow the crew to sail there. She smiled as she walked toward the crew.

The crew looked at her, they smiled as she approached them. She brought her hand down on the crew member nearest her. The man had a van dyke hairstyle, He looked into her eyes a hint of a smile appeared on his lips, he was a big man, muscular in build. His hip was a cutlass and a blunderbuss. His arm has a tattoo on it. He said, “I am Avar. Why are you with these people?”

“I am here to protect the thin one there. He is a cleric of his Lady. He has been sent here to go there.”

“Why would he want to go there?”

“He has been given this task by a merchant to find a particular object from there,” Shallynne said.

“I see, what can you tell me about it?” Avar said.

“The merchant wants us to find a dragon…”

“This merchant wants this cleric to find a dragon. I see what does he think that this cleric can do with a dragon.” Avar asked as he looked at her, his voice broke as he said this cleric can do with a dragon, It was as if he wanted to laugh at her belief that the cleric had been able to do something with a dragon. He laughed, and wiped his eyes, as tears spilled from them.

Avar left her standing there, he walked toward the man we believed was a captain of this ship. He lifted his hand to arrive on the captain’s shoulder, he said, “Guess what they have been sent here to do?” There was a huge grin on his face.

“I haven’t got a clue.” the captain said and smiled.

They have been sent to find a Dragon>” Vara laughed as he said this.

A few other members looked at the three of them, they seemed stunned by hearing this.

“What does he expect to do with a dragon, he looks so frail. What does he think he will do with a dragon.” the captain said, he laughed.

“It is of no concern with us, Is it?”

“I suppose, you are right.”

Creeton glared, and said, “What do you were thinking, You are doing? They don’t need to know what we are doing, Or what we are supposed to be doing?”

He closed his hands about his s staff, he began to walk away from Shallynne.

As she returned to him and Thallin who did not feel at ease, with what she had done here, How Creeton would gain a dragon’s egg,

Vara said, ”you will need this to wear to keep warm. When we get down there.” He handed her a fur lined cloak.

“It seems so warm here, are you sure. I will need this.”

“From what I understand the dragons live in the south, where there is snow.” Vara said as he looked at her, she accepted the cloak. “IT is very cold down there, you will find you may want more of this than what I can supply you with,”

“Don’t you know where you are going?’ The captain said as he looked at the three of them.

“We only know, that we have to find a dragon’s egg.” Creeton piped up as said he looked at the captain. Creeton felt reassured as he said this. The captain whirled about to face the voice that said this. He stepped back as he saw his face there.

“So. You are seeking to find a dragon’s egg. Don’t you think, the dragon whose egg you are seeking will have a thing to say about this happening to its egg?: Vara asked he cocked an eyebrow. His eyes narrowed to dagger’s point, his face had a chiselled look to it.

“Do you have any idea as to what you will have to do to gain this egg,” Another crew member said as he looked at this thin man, who said, they were tp gain a dragon’s egg from a dragon. He looked to be a cleric, young in age. Foolish in heart.

“Not a clue,”

“It is quite a quest set before you, i tell you. Did your Lady send you out in this quest?” this member said as he came off the rigging he was scaling to set in place.

“I was given this task by a merchant.”

“A merchant you say,” this man said.

“Since you seem to know so much can you tell me, what you know of this being whose egg I am to gain?” Creeton asked, he seemed very interested in what this man had to offer him.

‘ “A dragon is a being who breaths fire.” the man said and he glared at Creeton.

Creeton looked mystified by his words, he wanted to know more about the dragon who was responsible for this egg. He waited as he watched the man begin to continue on in this matter.
The man shivered, his fingers turned pale as did his skin, and said, “If you are looking to find a dragon.s egg in this region.”

“Yes, I believe I should have the egg from a dragon of this region since there are no dragon’s anywhere else. But there.” Creeton said.

“It should have wings on its backs.”

Creeton's skin paled, he knew of dragons would have legs, but he hadn;t heard of wings on its back. Knowing they breathed fire made sense.”The dragon have wings, I didn’t know that. Hold on for a second.” Creeton shivered, he pointed at the man who was speaking to him.

“Yes, they have wings.They can fly.” the man said as he peered into Creeton’s face and Creeton shuddered

“ It has four legs. it’s hind legs are larger than the fore legs, the being is huge. The nose was with a ridge that ran from its snout to its back with the ridges. Its back was protected by these ridges that were upon its back.” the man said as he declared this fact.

Creeton began to step backwards, he looked frightened upon hearing this. How big are these dragons?”

“A hundred feet to two hundred feet in scale. That is the one’s we have heard of. They lay in deep within the mountain region, they are protected by the mortals there,” the man said.

Shallynne asked. “This is what Creeton is expecting us to do. Is go there?”

“I did not know, what you are talking about,” Creeton said, “Did I not tell you we are going to find a dragon’s egg?”

“You did. I did not realize that a dragon can be a hundred to two hundred feet long,” Shallynne said, her voice faltered and broke as she said this.

Thallin seemed at ease upon hearing these words from the man talking with Creeton, Thallin seemed to accept the fact that the dragon breathed fire. Also that it could be one hundred feet long to two hundred feet long.

Thallin said, “That;s the reason that Zan gave you this coin to buy a number of guards to protect us from a dragon that is guarding its eggs.”

“Why didn’t you say this to me?” Creeton asked his brow was furled his eyes were wide.

“I thought you knew this?” Thallin said, there was a smirk on his face.

“You mean, you did not think, you would have to hire troops to go there to get this egg. Are you dafted?” Shallynne said.

“No I am not dafted, The dragon’s egg I did not think it would be protected by the dragon who laid it. I thought, it would be without a parent beside it,” Creeton said as he wiped his eyes, he was upset with the potential to be attacked by a dragon..

“Why did Zan give you that coin, It was to buy the things you will need to gain the egg,” Thallin said as he looked at Creeton not truly understanding what he was being told.

“There are rumors that dragon’s do exist there,’ Tava said as he looked at Creeton in disbelief. It made no sense, that a dragon wouldn’t be there protecting its egg from whoever wanted to gain it. Dragon’s were very protective.

The people where the dragon is would no doubt protect it from people venturing in to its region. The dragon could very well protect them from enemies. It would make sense, wouldn’t it.”


Creeton knelt down, closed his eyes. Holding his staff in his hands. He knew where he would go. He saw his Lady as she looked at him. She smiled and asked, “Why are you here?”

“Do you know, what Zan asked me to do?” Creeton answered.

“Yes, I do. Have you realised what he has asked you to do?” she said, there was a hint of a smile on her face, it vanished as soon as it surfaced, She lifted her head to face him as he knelt by the pews.

“Why didn’t you say something.” Creeton asked, he was upset.
© Copyright 2023 Richard Allen (UN: rickyallen at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Richard Allen has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1060409-Chapter-9