*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1060527-Humor
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#1060527 added December 4, 2023 at 1:48pm
Restrictions: None
Humor
Prompt: Humor
What makes you laugh the most, these days? Do you plan humor in your writing or does it happen on its own?


---------

"What I can't fix I laugh at" is my motto. Come to think of it, the world's situation at this time is hilarious. You can be sure I can't fix that one; otherwise, I would, humor aside.

Humor, luckily for our humankind, is a fascinating and complex aspect of the human experience, deeply rooted in culture, psychology, and communication. It has a universal language and connects people through laughter. Still, you have to be careful not to step on others' toes because what's funny in one country can be considered an insult in another.

In general, humor has its rules especially when you are writing it. To start with, timing is crucial, mostly when you build tension and release it in a way that surprises the reader or the listener.

Second is the surprise element or an unexpected twist or a deviation from the norm. Jokes often depend on surprise by catching people off guard with plays on words, a sudden change in perspective, or putting opposites together or against each other.

Third is the relatability of the readers or audience to a certain kind of humor. When people recognize aspects of their own lives in jokes or comedic situations, it creates a sense of connection and understanding, and a shared response to the human condition.

In addition, wordplay, wit, caricature, satire, and exaggeration, even if absurd, can add a little or even greatly to the humor and might also provide a social commentary as well as entertainment.

As in everything, humor in writing is subjective and challenging, and the writer must consider who the audience is. Still, humor is a powerful storytelling device, which adds depth and intensity to our work, but we have to take into account and align with the overall style and the particular theme at hand.

When it comes to my own writing, since I'm not quite sure I understand perfectly the intricacies of humor, I use situations or funny people at certain times, but mostly I write as I think. As such, if my thoughts take a turn for what's funny, it shows in the piece I am writing. Otherwise, I don't really plan to write humor. Humor is for those professionals, such as 🌕 HuntersMoon , *Wink* who do it so well.


.

© Copyright 2023 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1060527-Humor