*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
5
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1061340-Reading-Books
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#1061340 added December 23, 2023 at 12:38pm
Restrictions: None
Reading Books
Prompt: Book-reading Goals
The New Year is approaching and typically we think about personal goals. My question to you is about books on your bucket list to read. Do you make a list of books to read in the beginning of a new year? Like Goodreads has a reading challenge, 30 books in a year, just for example, do you challenge yourself to read more?


------

No, I don't make any lists for the year because I never know what that year will bring while in progress. I only make to-do lists for the day I'm in.

I pledge in Goodreads a certain number of books for each year. One year, 2018, I pledged 100 books and ended up reading 133. That was my record year.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/stats/3637965-joy-cagil

For 2023, I pledged 30 and. as of today, I'm at 32. This is partly due to my eyesight not being as good as it used to be. Also, I have a lot of personal responsibilities to take care of. I don't necessarily challenge myself to read more than the number of books I pledge, but so far, I have done better than my pledge.

As to making a reading list, I think, for most people, there are options according to what they are interested in. I'm interested in just about everything, maybe except in the horror genre or criminal behavior. I wouldn't waste my time reading a book such as, "How to Rob a Bank," unless it was written in the humor genre.

I guess to make such a reading list, for the average reader, the considerations could be, (off the top of my head):
*Bullet* The genres that reader likes the most
*Bullet* Favorite authors and time periods: Our day, World War eras, Ancient Roman or Greek stories or other much older ones such as pre-dawn stories .
*Bullet* Recent best-sellers, classic literature or hidden gems by new authors
*Bullet* The length of the reading list, as no one should bite more than they can chew, since this may lead to self-depreciation and guilt feelings.

Any other ideas, anyone?


.

© Copyright 2023 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1061340-Reading-Books