*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1062144-Gained-and-lost
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
by Jeff
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#1062144 added January 10, 2024 at 2:22am
Restrictions: None
Gained and lost
"Invalid Item
Andre's Fractured Resolutions
Week 1 | Prompt 2



The Muse looked over the contract Andre slid in front of him.

"You're selling the Banana Bar?"

"Thinking about it," Andre replied.

"But... why?" The Muse asked.

Andre pointed to and tapped the paragraph that included the sale price. The Muse's eyes went wide.

"I had no idea it was worth that much."

"Neither did I," Andre said. "But it's certainly worth considering with an offer like that."

"Did you read the rest of the fine print?"

"Pfft," Andre scoffed. "What for? I'm going to be rich. I can afford to not sweat the small stuff now."

"This isn't really small stuff," The Muse muttered, scanning the rest of the contract. "It says here that they reserve the right to use the land however they please, up to and including demolishing the Banana Bar and reselling the empty lot to a company called BLP for conversion into a parking garage."

Andre grabbed the contract back and skimmed it.

"Wait, they want to bulldoze the Banana Bar?"

"Probably to charge the hotels and other restaurants on this street $10 every fifteen minutes to valet their customers' rides."

Andre sagged his shoulders behind the bar.

"I can't let them do this to the Banana Bar," he lamented. "I was only thinking about selling when I could come back to the bar and enjoy a drink that someone else was going to make for me. I don't want it to go away completely."

The Muse watched as Andre tore up the contract and tossed it into the trash behind the bar.

"At least now you'll still get those free drinks as part of your for-profit public good company restructure," The Muse said. "Speaking of which, I'll have a Banana Alexander."

Andre pulled out two glasses from behind the bar, along with the cognac from the top shelf.

"You're trying to make me feel better with one of my favorite drinks."

"It's the least I could do," The Muse said, "I'd feel awful if I passed up that much money on a deal."

Andre glared at The Muse and subtly reached for the cheaper cognac on the bottom shelf.


(355 words)


© Copyright 2024 Jeff (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jeff has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1062144-Gained-and-lost