*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1062336-Our-Humanity-in-Common
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Experience · #2003843
Second blog -- answers to an ocean of prompts
#1062336 added January 13, 2024 at 12:17pm
Restrictions: None
Our Humanity in Common
Prompt: “We are like islands in the sea, separate on the surface but connected in the deep.” ― William James
Use this quote to inspire your blog entry.


-------------

As I have visited a few places in the world, I found that, despite the language and cultural barriers, it is possible to recognize and feel for others' joys, sorrows, and struggles. The main reason for this connection is empathy. This is so that empathy forms the basis for compassion and kindness, allowing individuals to connect on a deep emotional level. It leads to compassion and kindness, allowing us to connect on a deep emotional level.

For example, I'll never forget the old lady who tried to help the clumsy me, on a cobblestone sidewalk in Rome, when I dropped some of the packages I was carrying. This was several decades ago. Added to my meager few Italian words, our body language such as gestures, facial expressions, and eye contact said a lot between us.

Of course, being able to communicate also helps when talking the same language. Then, trying to talk others' languages creates bridges between people, too, enabling us to share our ideas, and strengthening our mutual understanding. Language can be verbal or even non-verbal. A look, a nod, a gesture can tell a lot, sometimes even better than any verbal conversation.

In our day, technology has made it possible for us to connect much more than it was possible during the earlier decades and on a global scale. In times of adversity, this type of connection often helps to heal our wounds and celebrate our joys through mutual acts of support, kindness, and cooperation.

Fact is, while differences undoubtedly exist, the shared aspects of who we are creates a sturdy base for meaningful connections. This is because we are all tied together through shared experiences like parenthood and family issues, emotions, our worries for our livelihood, the future of the planet, and in short, our humanity in common.



.

© Copyright 2024 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1062336-Our-Humanity-in-Common