*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1062779-May-I-come-in
Rated: 18+ · Book · Community · #2257034
Birthday Bash Relay. Excited on Second Place! Now for various WDC contests and activities
#1062779 added January 22, 2024 at 12:45am
Restrictions: None
“May I come in?”
Words: 296

“May I come in?”

"Yes."

No sooner had she stepped in and closed the door than there was another soft knock.

“May I come in?”

"Yes!"

“May I come in?”

David's nerves were frazzled. When he put in the advertisement for a secretary, 'no prior experience necessary', he had thought he'd get a couple of applicants and pick one. Now it seemed the whole town didn't have prior experience in secretary-ing and wanted the job. He needed a secretary just to handle the crowd. There were young men and women, middle-aged men and women ...

"If you'd just —" he began, not having the faintest idea what he was going to say next.

"ATTENTION!" came a loud voice.

Everyone obeyed, including David. It was impossible not to.

A whistle blew, the kind the gym teacher uses to get attention. "If you know how to handle modern gadgets and old-fashioned clickey-clack typewriters, move behind the sofa. If only modern gadgets, move near the window. If only old typewriters, near the desk. If none of the above, out the door. QUICK, march! (Whistle)."

The room divided up.

David was standing on tip-toe, trying to understand where these orders came from. How did the person know he liked letters typed old-fashioned sometimes, in this day and age?

The voice was giving further orders. David listened intently. This voice seemed to know his every need in a secretary.

Three people left. Two people.

Now, he was alone in the room. The person with the whistle had managed, somehow, to remain unseen so far and had exited with the others.

Knock knock.

“May I come in?”

"Yes."

Shocked silence.

"Mom!"

"See, I know exactly what you need and how to handle it. And I could do with some extra money. Am I hired?"

© Copyright 2024 THANKFUL SONALI Now What? (UN: mesonali at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
THANKFUL SONALI Now What? has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1062779-May-I-come-in