*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1062901-No-One-There
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Reviewing · #2312363
Reviews for the 2024 Reading Club
#1062901 added January 24, 2024 at 10:44am
Restrictions: None
No One There
For my second book of January, I read No One There by Ava Strong. It was a good book, but not exactly what I was hoping for.

It's promoted as the first book in a series about an FBI agent named Sophia Blake. She is apparently an expert in languages and in this book, she is assigned a case involving serial killer at the Mexican-American festival of Dia de Los Muertos. The killer leaves each body with a model skull that has Aztec writing engraved on it.

This was an intriguing premise and I guess I was hoping that the plot would involve cerebral twists in which Blake had to unravel the code of those writings.

In reality, it's mostly an action story, albeit a good one. There are quite a few suspenseful scenes. At one point, her partner even engages in an underground boxing match. Then there's another scene where they both have to run from a bull.

I also noticed that the very last scene in the book seems more like something you would put towards the beginning. It's a scene where Sophia is at home and we learn that her house is filled with all kinds of souvenirs from her travels to foreign countries where they speak unusual languages. I kind of got the feeling that the author was introducing the character to the reader-- even though we'd already seen her-- for the sequals.

This first book is available for free on Google Books. (Would you think of less of me if I told you that was another reason I picked it?) But the subsequent books in the series all cost money, so I'm not sure if I'm willing to buy them.
© Copyright 2024 Weirdone-Back in the games (UN: weirdone28 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Weirdone-Back in the games has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1062901-No-One-There