*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1064681-Books-and-Bribes
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Reviewing · #2312363
Reviews for the 2024 Reading Club
#1064681 added February 22, 2024 at 12:43pm
Restrictions: None
Books and Bribes
For my first book of February, I chose a mystery called Books and Bribes by Lucinda Race. I honestly have never heard of her or the novel, but it was available cheaply on Google Books.

Anyway, it is about a young bookstore owner named Lily who attempts to solve a murder mystery in her hometown, but there's a twist. She has just discovered that she, like several of her female relatives, is a witch. Moreover--and this is the reason that this book qualifies for the month of February--her cat, Milo, is her familiar. He talks to her and attempts to train her in witchcraft.

The book is also written with alternating points of view. One chapter from Lily's point of view and one from the point of view of Gage, a local police officer. From the different points of view, the reader learns that Lily has a crush on Gage and that he has a crush on her. It makes for a sweet, if predictable, love story.

I guess I would say that this book is pretty average on all fronts. The murder mystery is intriguing, but the solution is not exactly astonishing. The magic part is entertaining, but Lily doesn't do a whole lot of magic, so it's only an average story about witchcraft, and the love story is sweet, but average.

It's a readable, but not great story.
© Copyright 2024 Weirdone-Back in the games (UN: weirdone28 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Weirdone-Back in the games has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1064681-Books-and-Bribes