*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1063129-Second-and-Third-Jobs
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(119)
by Jeff
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1399999
My primary Writing.com blog.
#1063129 added January 28, 2024 at 11:41pm
Restrictions: None
Second and Third Jobs
"Invalid Item
Andre's Fractured Resolutions
Week 3 | Prompt 1



As someone who's currently working three different jobs, my resolution this year is to actually get rid of a job. In addition to my day job working at Marvel Studios in their legal department, I'm also the president of the board of a local community development nonprofit, and the Director of Operations for our church. For almost a year, I've been balancing the responsibilities of each and it's safe to say that I'm pretty exhausted at this point as I constantly shift from one job to the next, trying to get everything done that needs to be done each day.

Turns out, the church job situation will probably take care of itself in the coming weeks, so I'll be down to two. And the community nonprofit is the least work of the three, so I'm really hoping that my workload will be reduced enough to introduce some balance back into my life.

One of the most difficult things about having multiple jobs is that you're just never "off duty" because something's almost always happening somewhere. The last time I was this busy was when I took a bunch of consulting gigs during a brief period of unemployment about five years ago, and then a bunch of work came my way all at the same time. I was working a full-time office job, then working two consulting gigs in my spare time (on my lunch break, after work, late at night, etc.). I used to carry three different laptops around in my work bag, so I always had each job at my fingertips just in case something came up. The money was great, but the physical and mental and emotional toll was pretty high.

So this year, I find myself resolving not to get a job, but to get rid of one.

(301 words)


© Copyright 2024 Jeff (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jeff has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1063129-Second-and-Third-Jobs