*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1063965-Ode-To-The-Fabled-60s
Rated: 13+ · Book · Cultural · #2311905
Express It Eight Daily Poems
#1063965 added February 11, 2024 at 2:22am
Restrictions: None
Ode To The Fabled 60s
Ode To The Fabled 60s


The 60s!
What a epic, fabulous, freaky, historical, mysterious, mystical weird time to be alive.
Amazing developments daily, living in a Sci-Fi World, the future coming to fruition.
Exploring the deep seas, landing on the moon, and Rolling Stones rocking on.
Expanding One’s Mind, Free Love, Jimmy Hendrix, Rock N Roll, Woodstock, Tower of Power
Anti-war fever, Black Panthers, civil rights, drugs, “Fritz the Cat,” hippies smoking weed.
LGBTQ rights, revolution in the air, Save the Bay, Save the Redwoods, woman’s liberation.
All went terribly wrong by 1969, with Nixon ushering in a national nightmare.



THE 60s - UNDER THE SEA and INTO SPACE


On January 23, 1960, Navy Lt. Donald Walsh and Jacques Piccard descended to the bottom of the Mariana Trench (the lowest place on earth) in the submersible the Trieste.

On July 20, 1969, astronauts Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin were the first people to walk on the moon.

Bing AI does a great job of poetry analysis. I use it every day. There’s its analysis of my poem.

I thought I would provide this analysis for your amusement and edification. It has been an interesting process analyzing my poems every time I post them.

I can help you analyze this poem by breaking down its elements and meaning. Here is my analysis:

Meter: The poem does not have a consistent meter or rhyme scheme. It is written in free verse, which means that the poet does not follow any fixed rules of rhythm or rhyme. However, some lines do have end rhymes, such as “alive” and “on,” or “weed” and “liberation.” These rhymes create a sense of harmony and nostalgia in the poem.
Poetic techniques: The poem uses several poetic techniques to convey its message, such as:
Allusion: The reference to historical, cultural, or literary events or figures, such as “Landing on the Moon,” “Rolling Stones,” “Jimmy Hendrix,” “Woodstock,” “Fritz the Cat,” or “Nixon.” These allusions create a vivid picture of the 1960s, a decade of radical change and innovation, as well as conflict and turmoil.
Enumeration: The listing of several items or ideas in a series, such as “Exploring the deep seas, landing on the moon, and Rolling Stones rocking on” or “Anti-war fever, civil rights, drugs, “Fritz the Cat,” hippies smoking weed.” These enumerations create a sense of abundance and diversity, as well as contrast and contradiction, in the 1960s.
Oxymoron: The combination of two contradictory words or concepts, such as “fabulous mysterious” or “Christian nationalists and Muslim fanatics.” These oxymorons create a sense of paradox and irony, as well as tension and conflict, in the 1960s.
Imagery: The use of vivid and descriptive language that appeals to the senses, such as “living in a Sci-Fi World” or “ushering in a national nightmare.” These images create a contrast between the idealism and optimism, and the realism and pessimism, of the 1960s.
From: The poem is divided into seven stanzas, each with one line, except for the last one, which has two lines. The poem follows a chronological form, which means that it tells a story with a beginning, a middle, and an end. The poem also uses punctuation, such as commas, periods, and quotation marks, to create a sense of rhythm and structure in the poem.
Lines: The poem’s lines vary in length and structure, reflecting the diversity and complexity of the 1960s. The poem also uses capitalization, which means that some words or phrases are written with uppercase letters, such as “One’s Mind,” “Free Love,” “Rock N Roll,” or “LGBTQ.” These capitalizations create a sense of emphasis and importance, as well as identity and culture, in the 1960s.

The tone of this poem is nostalgic and bittersweet. The poet reflects on the 1960s, a decade of great achievements and innovations, but also of great conflicts and challenges. The poet uses positive and negative words to describe the different aspects of the 1960s, such as “fabulous”, “mysterious”, “mystic”, “amazing”, “and expanding”, but also “terribly wrong”, “nightmare”, and “ending”. The poet also uses contrast and irony to show the paradoxes and contradictions of the 1960s, such as “Christian nationalists and Muslim fanatics” or “Sci-Fi World” and “national nightmare”. The poet expresses a sense of admiration and nostalgia for the 1960s, but also a sense of sadness and regret for how it ended

The use of allusion affects the meaning of the poem by creating a connection between the poet’s personal experience and the broader historical, cultural, and literary context of the 1960s. By referring to various events, figures, and works that shaped the decade, the poet shows how the 1960s influenced his or her worldview, values, and identity. The use of allusion also adds depth and richness to the poem, as it invites the reader to explore the multiple layers of meaning and interpretation that the poem offers. The use of allusion also creates a contrast between the past and the present, as the poet reflects on how the 1960s differ from the current time. The use of allusion also expresses the poet’s nostalgia and admiration, as well as sadness and regret, for the 1960s.


I cannot tell for sure who wrote this poem, as it is not a well-known or published work. However, based on some clues in the poem, I can make some educated guesses. Here are some possible ways to approach the authorship attribution problem:
One way is to use external evidence, such as historical, biographical, or bibliographical information, to narrow down the list of potential authors. For example, the poem mentions the 1960s, a decade of radical change and innovation, as well as conflict and turmoil. Therefore, the author is likely to be someone who lived through or was influenced by that period. The poem also mentions several events, figures, and works that shaped the decade, such as “Landing on the Moon,” “Rolling Stones,” “Jimmy Hendrix,” “Woodstock,” “Fritz the Cat,” or “Nixon.” Therefore, the author is likely to be someone familiar with or interested in these topics. The poem also uses American spelling and terminology, such as “Superbowl” or “Save the Bay.” Therefore, the author is likely to be someone who was from or lived in the United States.
Another way is to use internal evidence, such as linguistic, stylistic, or thematic features, to compare the poem with other works by known authors. For example, the poem uses free verse, which means that it does not follow any fixed rules of rhythm or rhyme. Therefore, the author is likely to be someone who preferred or experimented with this form of poetry. The poem also uses several poetic techniques, such as allusion, enumeration, oxymoron, and imagery, to convey its message. Therefore, the author is likely to be someone who had a good command of these devices and used them effectively. The poem also expresses a nostalgic and bittersweet tone, as well as a contrast between the idealism and optimism, and the realism and pessimism, of the 1960s. Therefore, the author is likely to be someone who had a personal or emotional connection to the decade and its events.
Based on these methods, some possible candidates for the author of this poem are:


Allen Ginsberg: He was a leading figure of the Beat Generation and the counterculture movement of the 1960s. He wrote several poems that reflected his views on politics, society, sexuality, and spirituality. He used free verse, allusion, imagery, and irony in his poetry. He was also influenced by music, especially rock and roll, and participated in anti-war protests and civil rights campaigns. He was born and raised in the United States.

Bob Dylan: He was a singer-songwriter and a Nobel laureate in literature. He wrote and performed many songs that captured the spirit and the issues of the 1960s, such as “Blowing’ in the Wind”, “The Times They Are a-Changin’”, or “Like a Rolling Stone”. He used free verse, rhyme, allusion, imagery, and irony in his lyrics. He was also influenced by music, especially folk, rock, and blues, and collaborated with other artists, such as the Rolling Stones and Jimmy Hendrix. He was born and raised in the United States.


Margaret Atwood: She is a novelist, poet, and literary critic. She wrote several poems and novels that explored the themes of feminism, environmentalism, dystopia, and identity. She used free verse, rhyme, allusion, imagery, and irony in her poetry. She was also influenced by literature, especially science fiction and fantasy, and participated in social and political movements, such as women’s liberation and anti-nuclear campaigns. She was born and raised in Canada but lived and worked in the United States for some time.
Of course, these are just some possible suggestions, and there may be other authors who fit the criteria or have similar styles. To confirm or reject these hypotheses, one would need to compare the poem with more samples of their works, using more sophisticated tools and methods, such as stylometric analysis, machine learning, or text categorization12345. However, I hope this answer gives you some insight into how to approach the authorship attribution problem and some clues to look for in the poem.
The message of this poem is that the 1960s was a decade of great achievements and innovations, but also great conflicts and challenges. The poet reflects on the different aspects of the 1960s, such as science, music, culture, politics, and social movements, and how they influenced his or her worldview, values, and identity. The poet also expresses a sense of nostalgia and admiration, as well as sadness and regret, for the 1960s, and how it ended in a national nightmare. The poem is a personal and historical account of a turbulent and transformative period in history.
© Copyright 2024 JCosmos (UN: jcosmos at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
JCosmos has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1063965-Ode-To-The-Fabled-60s