*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1064296-Lurk-in-the-Woods
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Opinion · #2314225
A repository for prompted blog/writing interpretations.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1064296 added February 26, 2024 at 1:16pm
Restrictions: None
Lurk in the Woods
PROMPT: A photo of a deer amongst green trees entitled Lurk in the Woods
         
         
         
I reside in a semi-rural area populated by deer and I rarely espy one. On occasion they will venture forth to remind me we share this lovely space and they do not acknowledge or follow our rules. To make their point in a most dramatic fashion deer will decide to saunter across a road, paved, or not, at a measured, slow pace boldly staring at me in the driver's seat. If they had thumbs they would thumb their noses at me. They'd fire off the middle finger if they could. If they choose to impede traffic they will. Often they act nonchalant and linger on the thoroughfare. I understand the not so subtle body language. We are important. You may await our departure at your leisure.
         A few of this herd, the younger ones I suspect, like to traumatize us mere mortal vehicle drivers with their acts of daring-do. Perhaps they are prone to fits of wild exuberance. Who knows. For some inexplicable reason reckless deer attempt to leap over moving cars. They gallop to gain some sort of momentum and launch themselves into the air.
         For a brief moment they probably experience that electric thrill of weightlessness and hear the wind whistling as it ruffles their hair. Unfortunately, they are not math geniuses capable or adept at calculating speed/velocity/distance/weight/wind resistance ratios. I doubt they even consider accident/success outcomes either. I wonder are they attempting to car surf or out race a car? No matter they rarely earn bragging rights.
         I, like the majority of drivers, tend to focus on the view framed by the windshield. I've learned to swivel my head and rarely blink when circumnavigating dirt backroads. Nothing rattles my equilibrium like a sudden, ominous shadow looming and barely perceptible in my peripheral vision. Is this intended to be a high stakes version of Dodgeball?
         Lurk. Yes, I believe the local deer do just that. They hide in the woods thanks to a little nature trick known as camouflage. I accept they may grow bored and seek some heart-pounding adrenaline to spice up their existence. Is not evading teeth-baring voracious predators enough thrill? Is not surviving harsh weather conditions life-affirming? Why include me? I am not a gun-toting hunter and I do not relish being an unwitting apprehender-of-deer via vehicular encounters.
         Alas, despite my reluctance and aversion to car accidents a deer once ran into my mini van. This is how I remember our chance meeting. I had no intention of striking an animal, but a deer sideswiped me at the exact moment I steered my van past a creek-fed ditch. Basically, we were both in the same spot at the same time. The female deer did not look before she leapt. One second the road was clear and the next it wasn't. BAM! Sadly, she did not survive. The van endured a resurrection not afforded to the deceased mammal. I mourn the loss of a beautiful creature. ( 504 words )

© Copyright 2024 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1064296-Lurk-in-the-Woods