*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1064627-A-1-Follow-the-White-Rabbit
by Rhyssa
Rated: 18+ · Book · Contest Entry · #2242614
entering Wonderland again
#1064627 added February 21, 2024 at 11:05pm
Restrictions: None
A-1: Follow the White Rabbit
Write about your participation in this project/activity, and what you hope to gain from it once finished. (<500 words)

I enjoy rabbit holes. Just the other day, I was writing and a bunny popped up and I ended up somewhere in ancient Egypt with a rather long detour to China, who famously has mummies that are actually so well preserved that their joints will still move, which was something I shouldn't have figured out while eating lunch.

Of course, that rabbit led me further down memory lane to the closest I've ever come to a dead person. Well, there's my Grammy's funeral, but that doesn't really count when it comes to unexpected death. I was in graduate school, and my dad was giving me a lift to class (maybe two hours early?) but he wanted to stop and see a couple that we knew from church along the way. Nice people. We'd eaten at their house before as a family. They both had some issues (the lady had lupus and was in significant pain almost constantly, and they both had complicated drug history).

So, we knock on the door. No answer. Knock again. Some movement from inside but no one comes to the door. Dad calls the man's cell, busy. Finally, after about five minutes on the step he lets us in, but he's on the phone with emergency services because his wife is dead. She's collapsed in the living room, near a wall. I don't touch her. Dad does to see if there's something that we can help with, but she's cold.

When the cops get there, they take the husband to sit in the back of a squad car and make us stand around for a long while because they may need our statements, but they don't end up talking to us in the end. I ended up about forty-five minutes late for a 2.5 hour class. When I got there, I apologized and explained the situation, which was another story in itself, because it was a creative non-fiction workshop.

At this point, I realized that I'd been chasing bunnies so far that my story was somewhere . . . three hours and a maze of connections away. And it made me think of Wonderland and the fun I've had there in the past. I love the excuse to write something, letting my fingers retain the habit of letting my thoughts play out in the structure of the prompts. I'm looking forward to the writing and the playing and the meeting old and new and soon to be friends who will write together as we explore the random nonsenses of Wonderland.

word count: 424

LinkTextHere

© Copyright 2024 Rhyssa (UN: sadilou at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rhyssa has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1064627-A-1-Follow-the-White-Rabbit