*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1064643
by Rhyssa
Rated: 18+ · Book · Contest Entry · #2242614
entering Wonderland again
#1064643 added February 21, 2024 at 11:27pm
Restrictions: None
F-3: Much of a Muchness
According to the Dormouse, there is such a thing as 'drawing of muchness'; with that in mind, tell us about the good or bad of having too much of any one thing. (<1000 words).

I have recently decided that it's very possible to have too much of any one thing. For example, I am presently sitting on the couch with my hair up because it's been very hot over the past couple of weeks (and I think it's definitely possible to have too much of summer) and when it's down, it's way too hot on my neck. I should just go get it cut (there's rather too much of it, in my opinion), but that would mean actually spending money at the hairdresser, which I don't feel I should do at the moment. So, instead, I twist it up and put in my ear buds and listen to way too much Youtube. Occasionally about hair, because it's been on my mind so now, my feed is full of way too much random hair dressing videos which make me want to dye my hair because, why not. It's not as though it's doing much for me anyway.

I do know that's it's not possible to have too much reading material. My sister (the youngest one) may disagree with me, but she's an artist. Once we were talking about signs on the freeway, and she said that she doesn't read them automatically as she passes. Instead, she sees the colors and shapes first. Me, I see the words. And so I'm continually surrounded by words, everywhere I look. It is strange to think that what I think is obvious isn't the thing that another person sees.

Which reminds me of a story from when I was in college. I was talking to a roommate while she was reading the school newspaper. She mentioned something in the paper, and I said (and I quote) “I remember not reading that.” Which made a lot of sense to me. After all, you have to read the first sentence or so of an article to make sure you don't want to read the rest of it, right? And so, I hadn't read the article, but I'd made the conscious decision not to. That was apparently too much for my roommate, who burst out laughing and wrote it down on the quote board (which is why I remember it).

I don't know where I was going with that. Except, as I think about things, I realize one thing. We are surrounded by much. But we have a muchness of our own, which should be enough to make it so that we are not lost in the muchness that surrounds us.

And that's not too much to ask, now is it?

word count: 429

© Copyright 2024 Rhyssa (UN: sadilou at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rhyssa has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1064643