*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1064650
by Rhyssa
Rated: 18+ · Book · Contest Entry · #2242614
entering Wonderland again
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1064650 added February 21, 2024 at 11:35pm
Restrictions: None
I-3: Rebellion
In relation to the challenge above, a most ridiculous and unjust verdict has been given to you (or character), what rebellious action is carried out in retaliation? (blog entry or short story <1000 words)

Chief Lief O'Keefe and Mayor Hanna Bananna read the new city ordinance with great puzzlement.

“Patty knows better than this. I'm the one who gets to make laws.”

“And I enforce them. There's no way I'm going to enforce a rhyming ordinance.”

They headed over to the court to see what their collegue was up to. At the courthouse, behind the statue of blind justice, a new model had been etched: “Rhyme Time. Work Your Jaw. It's the Law.”

A line of people stretched out of the door. Today was Friday, which meant that traffic court was in session. The police chief and mayor slipped into the back of the courtroom.

The bailiff was handing out pamphlets to all in line as well as the spectators. The mayor opened hers, to read: “A guide to rhyming in the courtroom—100 acceptable phrases to express remorse”

“Sorry, your honor, I'm in the wrong here. I'm better than I've been. I'll never speed again.” seemed to be the most common plea, although they also heard a few who plead: “I never saw the no parking zone. If I had, I'd have left it alone.”

“At least Harry has a work around,” muttered Chief O'Keefe.

“Maybe this isn't so bad,” breathed Hanna Bananna.

Then, about an hour into the proceedings, a young girl came before the judge without a pamphlet. She was the last of the day, so all who were left in the courtroom were the judge, the bailiff, the chief, and the mayor.

“I didn't do anything wrong, but I need to ask you to stop this rhyming rule.”

The judge banged her gavel. “No rhymes? That's a fine.”

The girl stood straighter and started glowing faintly. Ghostly branches bloomed from her body, as though she were an oak tree—a specific oak tree. The one that stood in the middle of town square who the town was named for. The mayor and chief of police froze.

“Because you've changed things so that rhyming is more important than driving, every driver on the road has become distracted. There have been three near misses with cars almost hitting MY TREE.”

“Another fine.”

“The only reason I've let you have your town around my oak was that you promised to protect it.” She gestured at the entire courtroom. The bailiff was looking at the ground, embarrassed. The mayor and chief of police looked scared. Judge O'Matty looked livid.

“I want my rhymes! It's my courtroom.”

“If you can't make this town safe, I'll find someone who can.” The girl snapped her fingers, and Judge O'Matty sprouted leaves. Soon a giant oak tree with the courthouse motto written in gold lettering around its trunk filled the remains of the courtroom, and there wasn't a roof any longer.

The mayor bowed quickly as the girl turned her way. “Yes, your majesty. I will strike rule 42 immediately. I also move to ban all traffic in town center to protect both oaks.”

The girl smiled. “That will be acceptable.” She stopped glowing and faded back into her oak.

The police chief looked around. “I think we need a new courthouse. And a new judge.”

“Immediately.”

Epilogue: The oak that had been Judge Patty O'Matty inspired a lot of poetry over the years, however, none of it ever rhymed again. Instead, it was haiku, blank verse, and free verse poetry continually. It was as though the tree were cursed that rhyming didn't work around it, ever again.

word count: 590

LinkTextHere

© Copyright 2024 Rhyssa (UN: sadilou at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rhyssa has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1064650