*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1065009-Charlottes-Web
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Activity · #2312996
I love a challenge and I also love to read; a perfect combination!
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1065009 added February 27, 2024 at 2:39pm
Restrictions: None
Charlotte's Web
Charlotte's Web by E.B. White Published 1952
         
         
         
         I remember devouring this classic tale of friendship and perseverance when I was a child. It still stands the test of time and is a delightful story. I would highly, enthusiastically recommend it.
         Now I understand the nuances of change, growth and death the author has woven into this tale. Sure, the marvelous speaking animals still exist and support each other through friendships, but they accept subtle life events such as death and aging. They know these are inevitable and unavoidable. Charlotte the spider is all too aware of her short life span, but she's determined to make a difference. She does this by saving Wilbur the pig from becoming bacon. She believes if the farmer realizes he has a special, one of-a-kind pig he will spare his life. Charlotte weaves messages into her web above Wilbur's spot in the barn and soon makes him into a celebrity.
         Fern is the little girl who first saves the runt piglet she names Wilbur. She also understands the various farm animals when they speak. For a short time Wilbur is a pet. He ends up sold to a farmer who raises animals for their practical applications. After Charlotte's timely interventions, this farmer gains a different respect/attitude regarding animals.
         Like humans the animals possess distinct personalities. All live with their future deaths looming, yet they carry on. The author explores this against the backdrop of a bustling farm and the evolving seasons. Death may only be delayed and not avoided.
         As she accepts, Charlotte dies. Through the marvels of natural selection she lives on in her children born from her egg sac that Wilbur protects. Thus he is provided several generations of friends. The world of the farm continues in a divine cycle.
         I am amazed this book was first published in 1952. That is a new fact for me.
         ( As a side note relating to this month's reading theme of Animals I've read and enjoyed many of these books. Watership Down, Black Beauty, The Call of the Wild, Marley & Me, The Incredible Journey, and All Creatures Great & Small. All recommended. I plan to read Water For Elephants. )
© Copyright 2024 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1065009-Charlottes-Web