*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1065981
by Jeff
Rated: 18+ · Book · Contest Entry · #2313806
My collected entries for the 2024 edition of Wonderland.
#1065981 added March 10, 2024 at 12:44am
Restrictions: None
D-1. Identity Crisis - Who Are You?
PROMPT

Oh man, when do I not question myself over a decision I've made? *Whistle* *Laugh*

As a parent, I question the decision to adopt our kids all the time; at least all the time when they're being little turkeys. *Pthb* I sometimes wonder what it would be like if my wife and I, upon realizing that the biological child route wasn't working out the way we had hoped, just decided to be the "cool aunt and uncle" to my nieces and just enjoy a child-free life traveling the world and exploring our own interests. But then of course the kids will do something adorable or we'll have an amazing moment together and I'll realize it's all worth it ... but I definitely question what life would be like without kids (both for better and worse) fairly often.

The other decision I've often questioned in my life has been my choice of profession. Shortly after graduating from college, I was at a crossroads. I went to film school and always wanted to work in the film industry, but it's notoriously low paid and high stress (at least at the entry levels). Prior to getting my first job offer in the film industry, I was working at a financial services company to pay the bills. When the job offer for a film company came in and I gave my notice, the owners of that company made me an offer to stay. It involved a six figure salary within a year, and the opportunity to double or triple that inside of five years. I was twenty-two years old at the time.

Ultimately, I decided to pursue my passion and, while I don't regret my career choices since (I truly have loved my career and what I've had the opportunity to do), I often wonder what would have been if I had been making that kind of money from such an early age. Even though the job would have been less interesting to me, would the money have afforded me the opportunity to pursue my passions and interests in a different way (like, say, financing my own independent film)? I guess we'll never really know, but I do find myself sometimes questioning how my life would have been different if I had chosen a career based on financial security rather than a career based on pursuing a passion.


______________________________

(393 words)


© Copyright 2024 Jeff (UN: jeff at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Jeff has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1065981