*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1066024-E2---The-Cheshire-Cat
Rated: ASR · Book · Comedy · #2313753
another trip down the rabbit hole...
#1066024 added March 10, 2024 at 8:40pm
Restrictions: None
E2 "The Cheshire Cat"
I pocketed the invitation and began to question how I would retrace a path I hadn't taken yet.

"You could walk backwards," A disembodied voice stated from somewhere up in a tree.

"Are you a mind reader?" I asked the air.

"Why, do you mind if I read?"

"No, but I would like to know where the suggestion came from."

A disembodied smile appeared hovering over a tree branch. It was enough to answer my question. This creature I knew of; the Cheshire cat. "I read your invitation... though you may not think so the directions are quite precise. Plus, you aren't the first I have sent on their way."

"So I should travel backwards?"

"The footprints will look correct..." The smile curled up wider, and the rest of the cat materialized.

I began walking away from the cat backwards. I tripped a bit before I thought to look behind me as I walked. I glanced back at the tree the cat had faded away to just a smile again. For some reason I just am not sure how much I can trust someone with the grin of a Cheshire Cat.

220 words

prompt

© Copyright 2024 Spring in my Sox (UN: rinsoxy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Spring in my Sox has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1066024-E2---The-Cheshire-Cat