*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1066033-I-2-UNimportant-Things
Rated: E · Book · Activity · #2313324
My Aventures in Wonderland
#1066033 added March 11, 2024 at 4:36am
Restrictions: None
I. 2. "UNimportant Things"
UNimportant Things


Life is like a ten-speed bicycle; most of us have gears we never use

Unknown author


         I mentioned before in an earlier activity that I had given up driving. While that is true, I did have a terrible time dealing with not feeling as independent as I always have been. I was, and still am one who does not ask for help unless unavoidable. I have been on my own since I was seventeen. I married young, and my husband eventually gave up telling me what to do.

         It was recently, due to an accident, a few related age problems, and cancer, I had to rely on my children for help. Making appointments, going to the store, and going out when I wanted to were just a few things I needed help with. Since I could no longer drive, I decided a bicycle was the answer.

         My kids threw a fit! They all, I have four, ranted and raved that I could not ride one. I argued with them and told them that that was nonsense because I had ridden a bike to and from work for years. (I was keeping on a diet then. Not to mention younger.) And, of course, the ole gene that I inherited from my mother came into play. You tell me I can't have or do something; I'll show you just how fast I can.

         Well...I got my bike, an electric one at that. A pair of adult balance wheels to make it a three-wheeler, and a nice basket, too. I was all set. The radiation and the chemo treatments weakened me, lost too much weight, and my balance went to hell. So I stared at it. I am still staring at it. I have never once ridden it. I had to accept that I could not do many things I used to do. That is hard because my mind is active and forever going forward, and my body is holding me up.

         The bike doesn't mean that much to me now. I am content living with my son. He allows and encourages me to be as independent as I can be but always to remember he is there and to ask for help when I need it.

- As the new year begins, consider at least one thing you considered too ‘important’ in the past. What makes it so ‘unimportant’ now? (<500 words)

W/C 403

© Copyright 2024 Chrys O'Shea (UN: kb6vas at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Chrys O'Shea has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1066033-I-2-UNimportant-Things