*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1066297-D-1-Contrariwise
Rated: E · Book · Activity · #2313324
My Aventures in Wonderland
#1066297 added March 15, 2024 at 11:35pm
Restrictions: None
D. 1. "Contrariwise"
Contrariwise


W/C = 907

1. "Contrariwise" – Write a conversation between the most unlikely of companions. Think completely opposite ends of the spectrum and what they could possibly talk about. (<1000 words)


The Friendship Key


         Maddie poked her tiny head out through the opening of the old oak tree trunk. She shivered when the soft but cold breeze embraced her. She could see the freshly fallen layer of the autumn leaves in still green grass, were cloaked in the first winter's frost, and she sensed that it wouldn't be long before a thick blanket of snow would lie in its place. She was excited. Today, she was to meet Mr. Chipmunk himself, and together, she and Mat would begin gathering their winter's food supply.

"Mr. Chipmunk, himself," she giggled. That was how he introduced himself last spring on the river rocks, she smiled. She hurried over to her small mirror, patted her cheek pouches, and scampered out the oak tree door.

         Scurring down the Breaker Pass Trail toward Silver Rock River, Maddy stopped. She sensed something was not right. The usual smells and sounds of early mornings in The Coronado Forest were not there. The birds were not chirping, she could not hear the rumble of The Silver Rock River, and the fresh, crisp air had been replaced. Replaced by the rattling of metal pans and the stench of stale burning cigars. The silence was pierced by humans howling with evil-sounding laughter.

         Maddie left the trail and scurried from tree to tree until she came across a giant cage. Peeking inside the cage, she saw a significant Moutain Lion nursing his front right paw. It was bleeding.

"Are you alright?" Maddie inquired softly. She didn't want to attract the attention of the smelly men.

Without making a sound, He looked over his shoulder and stared at her.

"Are you alright?" Maddie asked again.

"Go away before I eat you!" The Mountain Lion growled.

"Well—ex...cuuu...se me!" She snapped back. I was only trying to be nice.

"Look...I'm sorry, I'm still a bit woozy from the drugs, paw hurts, where they shot me, and I just want out of here!" he grumbled.

"Well, what's your name? I'm Maddie."

"I'm called Yael."

"Well...Yael, why are you in this cage?" asked Maddie as she sat down next to the door made of bars.

"Those men over there are poachers, and they knocked me out with drug darts and captured me so that they could sell me."

"As big and strong as you are, can't you break down this door?"

"No, you need the key."

"Where is the Key?"

"See that man over there? The one next to the campfire and the circle of rifles? The one dressed in the green shorts? They are in his pocket. Why? Why should you care? You're out there, free, and besides, I eat your kind for snacks."

"There is always room for improvement," Maddie replied as she winked.

"Wait a minute, I have an idea."

Yael cocked his head and watched Maddie as she dashed across the campground
towards the circle of rifles. Sitting next to the rifles was Sam O'Rourke. He was a good hunter but a lousy cook and not very friendly.

"Sam, as soon as we trade in these four cats and two elephants, we'll be set for the year," yelled Harrison from the big brown tent.

"Sam?"

"Sam!" What on earth is he doing? pondered Harrison. Poking his head out of the tent, he scratched his head and looked around. He saw Sam sitting in the low canvas, folding chair fast asleep. Harrison shook his head. He is good when coming out the gate, but not good on stamina. he thought.

          Yael gasped, and Maddie froze until Harrison disappeared again.

         Maddie pulled the dart from Sam's derriere that she had planted. Giving it a quick kiss, she tossed it aside. She climbed up the right hind leg of the chair and into Sam's lap. She felt his left leg pouch. "Damn, no keys," she whispered. She heard Harrison emerge from the tent when she was about to touch his right pouch.

"Sam, what's for dinner? I'm starved!" Harrison yelled. "I'll be back; I'm going to check the traps," he drove away, not waiting for an answer that he figured wouldn't come.

Both Yael and Maddie let out a deep breath. Maddie checked his right pocket and found the keys. She packed the keys in her cheek pouch, collected the dart she tossed aside, and hurried back to where Yael awaited.

"Look!" She gasped between deep breaths. She laid the keys and the dart in front of Yael.

"But, how on earth...? Nooooo! You didn't." Yael's grin showed all his teeth as he held up and rotated the dart, looking over at Sam.

"Shhhh! Don't look a gift horse in the mouth," she winked.

"Now, if I unlock the door, you won't eat me?"

"No, Maddie, I promise."

         Maddie unlocked the cage door, and both hurried across Breaker Pass Trail and down to the hidden cove of Silver Creek." When they had rested, Yael looked over at Maddie. He was puzzled.

"Why...Maddie, did you help me, and why did you care what happened to me?

"Yael, I believe that if someone needs help, and I can give that help. I should give it and give it unconditionally." she smiled.

Yael smiled back, "The next time our paths cross, it will be as friends."

"Oh my goodness, Yael. I'm late. I'm late for a very important date. I gotta go."

Maddie hurried off, and Yael thought about the lesson he had learned.








© Copyright 2024 Chrys O'Shea (UN: kb6vas at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Chrys O'Shea has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1066297-D-1-Contrariwise