*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1066327-D-2-In-Your-Dreams
Rated: E · Book · Activity · #2313324
My Aventures in Wonderland
#1066327 added March 17, 2024 at 1:03am
Restrictions: None
D. 2. "In Your Dreams"
In Your Dreams


W/C = 408

2. "In Your Dreams" – You discover you are nothing more than a figment of another person’s dream! What is this dream about and how did you get there in the first place? (Short story <1000 words or poetry < 31 lines

The Mist of Death


         I closed my eyes when I felt it surround me— again. My old friend. We knew one another on an intimate level— once. He had let me go for a while. Now? He has returned to collect an old debt.

         I sensed the cool mist slowly swirling, swallowing me as it crept from room to room, filling my entire house. The full moon trickled through the intertwining Weeping Willows, dusting the front rooms with diffused light. I knew his urge had returned. The first time he summoned me, he was animated by the thought of an audience. He was always one for show and tell, but showing was more arousing.

         Slowly, I approached the door to the old man's room. As I pushed it open, the door hinges creaked like an old, rusted gate. The right-front corner of the room housed a fall-front secretaire—the drop-leaf down, supporting a silver garbage can. I could hear the thump-squishing of the rocking chair from the old woman who occupied it. I entered the room and witnessed his Cheshire smile and his vile smirk. I knew what was next.

"Throw the knives into the can!" He screamed.

"No, I can't! My son is in the can! She choked out between sobs.

"Throw the knives!"

Sobbing uncontrollably, the woman began throwing the knives, and blood began to ooze from the can.

Unable to control myself, I ran to my father's room. I shook him, yelling, "Daddy, wake up!" He opened his eyes, furrowed his eyebrows, and replied, "I'm not your daddy. I'm not your daddy!" I then smelled smoke. The stucco house had turned to wood and was burning. A ripple engulfed the entire house and returned it back to normal.

         I found my friend in a room made of bars. I stood and looked for a long time before speaking.

"I won't be coming to watch you anymore, and you won't be able to summon me again."

"What makes you think that?" he asked.

"Because you are going to die at the stroke of midnight, and I am just a figment of your imagination."

"You are real—"

"NO! Remember? I was your first victim."










.

© Copyright 2024 Chrys O'Shea (UN: kb6vas at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Chrys O'Shea has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1066327-D-2-In-Your-Dreams