*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1067302-Life-Doesnt-Need-to-be-a-Battle
Rated: 18+ · Book · Activity · #2316744
A place to keep my writings
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1067302 added April 1, 2024 at 10:58am
Restrictions: None
Life Doesn't Need to be a Battle
Babble’s mother knew she would be destined for great things even before Babble hatched out of her egg. Daisy would watch in admiration, as that egg would wobble restlessly, while the other eggs hardly moved. Red-Breasted Mergansers were notorious for being fast flyers, and Daisy knew her daughter would be a strong, soaring leader one day. What she didn’t know was how trying it would be to raise her when that daughter had little confidence.

Babble was the first to jump into the cold, brackish water. The girl had no fear! The other ducklings quickly followed her example. Daisy smiled as she looked on, remembering how fearless her own mother was throughout her life. Her mom would have been proud of this granddaughter. Daisy’s daydream ended when Babble scurried over.

“Mom, Jessabelle told me that I look ugly and that the other ducklings aren’t going to want to follow such an ugly duckling for long. She said speed, strength, and fearlessness aren’t the only traits which a leader should have. A leader should also be pretty! She also said that my voice sounds weird and that I should just go to the back and not talk.” Babble did a quick shake to shed some of the tears away from her face.

“Jessabelle is jealous of you, my sweet daughter. You are beautiful and all the other ducklings enjoy following you. Look at how hard Jessabelle tried to take your place!"

“Well, she succeeded in that. The other ducklings started laughing at me.”

“Not all of them, Babble. See over there”, Daisy pointed her beak to a group of worried ducklings, “Those birds are concerned about why you are crying. Babble, remember that life can be a battle sometimes, and it’s best to take the road less traveled. If Jessabelle wants to stress and be bitter, taking whoever she can get to go along with her, leave them. Don’t surround yourself with such negative energy. Do your own thing.”

Babble put her head down to dwell for a minute on what her mother said. In a moment of enlightenment, Babble suddenly stood up and held her head high. She gave her mom a quick hug and then scampered over to the small group of ducklings which had been watching by the water’s edge.

“Come on,” Babble said to them through a smile, “Let’s have some fun in the water!”
Daisy looked on as Babble leaped into the water with newly found confidence. The other ducklings quacked happily as they followed her lead.

“Will we be joining Jessabelle’s group?”, one confused duckling timidly asked.
“They know where we are. We don’t need them to have fun. Let’s take this road less traveled and do our own thing. I have a feeling that when they see how much fun we are having, they will eventually follow us in the sun.”
The little duckling spoke wise words. Her newly found confidence was contagious. All of her friends adored her and enjoyed her company. Every now and then, a bird from the other grouping would make his way over.

“Can I join your group? You seem to be having so much fun and I’m tired of hearing all of the bitterness in each of Jessabelle’s words.”

“Of course you can join us! We invite anyone here who sincerely likes joy and love, rather than negative vibes and bad energy. How can anyone love themselves and others, if they are constantly bathed in misery? We concentrate in having fun and happiness in our group.”

Babble’s mother watched her daughter grow over the years. It wasn’t long before all of the birds in the flock bathed themselves in the love, fun and happiness emitted from her daughter and friends. Babble became a great leader who often took turns to lead the V formation during migration. Confidence can, indeed, be a great victory in the battle of life. Life doesn’t need to be a battle after all, if we choose to believe in ourselves.



Word count -- 670

Just a pretty image



© Copyright 2024 Maryann (UN: mhicks at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Maryann has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1067302-Life-Doesnt-Need-to-be-a-Battle