*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1069253
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Food/Cooking · #2313608
Old Place, New – carb-loaded! – Soul Food
#1069253 added April 22, 2024 at 5:53am
Restrictions: None
11. Piselli alla Romana (Hi-Carb)





Guys, do you know these dishes where you think, Bloody hell, that's SO simple! Readers will feel cheated if I include it in the cook book!*Shock2*

THIS one is one of them, but heck!, this collection would be poorer without it! *StarStruck*

Actually, it's "just" a side dish in the Roman Kitchen, but then again... it's also a feel-good recipe, one that makes you feel better when you're sad / ill (like my Mom's mashed potatoes*HeartBroken* => *Heart*).

It's easy to make AND – true to my new nutrition – a carb bomb.

How can THAT be!? I see you frown.

Well, peas are among those vegs with the higher carb load, plus 1/3 of these carbs are fibre and nearly none free sugar.*ThumbsUpGreen*

And, c'mon, onion, ham/bacon, white wine... can it get any yummier? *Hungry*

Right, NO! *Idea*

As hinted at above, this recipe's out of another Roman cookbook, this time Deborah Ferrini-Kreitmayr's Roma in Cucina. Deborah is a Roman who lives in Munich since many years where she can often be seen in programs of the Bayerischer Rundfunk, the local TV-channel in Bavaria, where she shares authentic Roman cooking in cooking programs.

I stumbled over her beautiful collection a) because it was prominently placed in the bookstore*Angelic*, and b) she also shares stories of her Nonna Emma, who taught her to cook.*Heart*

This instantly struck an association as it might be that a certain Vincent Romano (my novel series – and a lot of shorts – MMC) hung out in the kitchen with his Roman Nonno Aurelio since he was a toddler; the old man still knowing the authentic, uncompromised Roman cookery, which he also serves in the Family Restaurant in Manhattan's Little Italy.*Heart* And series /stories' FMC Laura lives in Munich when Vince and she met.*Heart*

Aha, you ready for another cooking session with the grumpy, wise old man? Good, he's already opened the Puglia and the pot's already on the stove. Hear him chop?

So let's be quick!*BigSmile*




Serves: 2-4 portions 3 portions for me... a stomach-filling main course.*ThumbsUpGreen*

Prep Time: 1 - 1.5 hrs Despite adhering to the instructions, it didn't turn out exactly as it should. But no worries, it still was yummy.*ThumbsUpGreen*

Degree of Difficulty: Easy




WE NEED

1 (40 gr / 1.5 oz.)
bouillon cube Try to find one with the LEAST chemicals included, or according instant veg stock. It took me forever but I found the latter without added conservatives in organic quality.

1 Onion Like always a red one, my fave.*Blush*

100 gr / 3.5 oz. Raw Ham She says Guanciale, but either was only an end piece left at the Italian deli, or it is just a real fatty affair... it was too much fat for MY taste, and so I took – Ha! – South Tirolean bacon. Greetings from Nonna Stella*Wink*

3 tbsp Olive Oil Extra vergine

600 gr / 1 1/3 lb. peas Fresh or Frozen. When frozen, without any "extra" like cream, sauce, etc. Just the peas.

Salt
Pepper


150 ml / 5 US fl.oz. dry white wine Good Ol' Pinot Grigio




WE DO


1. Peel +
finely chop the onion. Cut the ham / bacon into thin strips.

2. In a small pot, bring 500 ml / 2.1 US cups water to the boil with the Bouillon cube / veg stock, and eep warm.

3. In a bigger pot – or non-stick sauce panheat the olive oil, briefly sauté the onion, and add the peas. Season with the salt + pepper and mix well. Deglaze with the wine and let it evaporate. Add the broth and simmer in the lidded pot / sauce pan for 20 minutes.

Here I made the main mistake. Not wanting to burn the peas, I kept the temperature too low*Idea*, so the wine didn't evaporate but rather simmered. To not lose too much time, I added the broth and heightened the temperature to medium-high.


4. Add
the ham/bacon and simmer for another 10 minutes. Liquid must be almost completely reduced.

That wasn't the case, but to not overcook things – and risking them losing their taste + nutrients entirely*Shock2* – I stopped after cooking the dish for 25 / 15 minutes.*Idea*


5. Serve warm... And with a glass of Pinot Grigio.*Angelic*


Buon Appetito & Guten Hunger!*Heart**CountryIT*
© Copyright 2024 Olivia: Hockey SVK-GER 2:3 (UN: olivia44 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Olivia: Hockey SVK-GER 2:3 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1069253