*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1070193-The-Showdown
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing.Com · #2317180
Fire and Blood
#1070193 added April 30, 2024 at 7:42am
Restrictions: None
The Showdown
New Orleans Prompt #39

The Showdown

Word Count: 704


A rock hit Susie’s window. She put aside her pen and paper, and stood up, glancing at the clock. It was ten p.m. She furrowed her eyebrows. If her mom opened the door, she’d be disappointed. Bedtime was nine-thirty, but Susie loved drawing, and she was working on a picture of Daeneyrs Targaryen’s dragon, Drogon.

Susie walked to window. There was Johnny Ledger from her algebra class. She liked Johnny enough, but he was always asking her for answers on the quizzes. Susie opened the window.

“What are you doing here?”

“Want some ice cream?”

“No.”

“Well, the coffee shop is still open.”

“I’ll pass.”

“I need some help with my math?”

“Lame.”

“Okay, I just wanted to see you.”

“You want answers to tomorrow’s quiz, don’t you?”

“Not true.”

A howl filled the air. Johnny crossed his arms and shivered. “Can’t you come down?”

“No way. Didn’t you hear that howl?”

“Yeah, but I wanted to see you.”

“Sorry, but my parents would kill me if I crawled out of this window.” She paused. “Don’t you know that there’s a big, ugly wolf that roams the streets at night?”

“That’s just a myth.”

“There’s something out there.”

“It was a raccoon.”

“Johnny, you are exasperating!”

A loud snort filled the air. Johnny froze. Susie looked toward the lamppost. There, in the descending light ,was the wolf that haunted the town. He was a big one – as big as dire wolf, gray and black. He looked at Johnny and licked his lips. Susie had never seen him before herself until now. She just heard from her father that there was a wolf who stalked the streets at night, looking for anything to eat.

Johnny looked at the wolf, back up at Susie, then back to the wolf. The wolf slid his paw along the ground and grunted some more.

“Oh, s***,” said Johnny.

The wolf bared its fangs.

Johnny sprinted down the street.

Susie raced out of the room and found her parents sitting in the living room, watching TV.

“Mom, dad – there’s a wolf chasing Johnny Ledger. You gotta’ save him!” Susie exclaimed.

“What are you doing up, young lady?” asked her father.

“I’m not joking!” Susie ran to the door and flung it open. “Johnny!”

“How do you know Johnny is out there?” asked her mom.

“I heard the wolf howl and looked out the window.”

“Fool kid,” said her father. He grabbed his shotgun from the closet and raced out the door.
Susie watched from the doorway. Johnny had climbed onto the bed of the Douglas’ truck. The huge wolf stood at the tailgate snarling at him. Her father snuggled up the shotgun into his shoulder. The full moon cast its silver light onto the wolf, making him look as white as Jon Snow’s Ghost.

“All right, you crazy wolf, back off!” Her father slowly approached the truck. The wolf reared its ugly head and turned to glare at her father, seemingly unafraid of him and his shotgun.

Her dad pointed the shotgun in the air and fired it. The loud shot pierced the night. About six lights turned on in the nearby houses.

The wolf turned its attention on Susie’s father and bared its fangs.

“Go on, kid, get out of that truck bed!” Susie’s father shouted at Johnny.

“Yes, Sir!” Johnny hoped out of the truck bed and ran as fast as he could to Susie’s house.

The big, nasty wolf lowered its head, bared its teeth, and snarled. Susie’s father aimed the shotgun at the beast. Susie bit her lower lip. It was a showdown between the beast and her dad – and the wolf didn’t look afraid of her father or his gun, not one bit. It brushed his front paw against the ground, ready to pounce. Just then, several doors opened and several of the neighbors joined Susie’s dad, armed with their own shotguns.

Susie shivered and watched. Her pulse spiked.

The wolf snarled and slowly backed off, finally racing down the street. The showdown over, her father wiped his forehead with his hand, and thanked his neighbors. Susie heard the foul beast howl from the fridges of the wood line and she knew he’d be back.




Sigil for Game of Thrones 2024

Logo for Writing.Com Moderators - small.



© Copyright 2024 StephBee (UN: sgcardin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
StephBee has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1070193-The-Showdown