*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/107321-Freedom-and-Tolerance
Rated: ASR · Book · Spiritual · #135312
Who are we? Where are we going? Should we even care?
#107321 added April 27, 2001 at 1:01pm
Restrictions: None
Freedom and Tolerance
Well, one thing can be said about Creation Nihilism. It is freeing. I suppose that, if nothing matters, I can do whatever I want. I can be mean and a biggot; I don't have to be tolerant of anyone or anything I don't like; I can say demeaning things and get angry and stay out all night if I want to. If nothing matters, why listen to anyone? I can just do what I want.

But I'm not. Creation Nihilism is not about chaos and anarchy. It is about the freedom to think. Without laws and rules, there really wouldn't be any freedom at all. Oppressors would rise up from the chaos and enforce their laws or their brand of anarchy upon the people. Those of us who like structure in life would be seriously oppressed by the rest of the world.

But when I really think about it, I do have the freedom to do and say what I want. I can be hurtful if I choose, but I don't choose to. Why? Becasue being mean is counter-productive. Granted, nothing that I do matters, but since I have the capacity to think and I feel comfortable doing so, I should put myself into an environment suitable to that. I suppose that is what I'm getting at. Creation Nihilism is not about happiness or social success, if there is such a thing. It is about simply being content in the acceptance of the truth. Granted, some people's idea of comfortable are difference from my own, but Creation Nihilism is not intended to be a group activity or faith, but a personal philosophy.

Put in another way, by calling people names and telling them what I really think of them (real or imagined), I would inevitably create enemies for myself. Enemies, in turn, create resistance to future endevours. I'm not saying I should avoid conflict or try to please everyone all the time, becasue it is impossible to please everyone at once. Frankly, to do so would be a tremendous waste of energy with very little returns. Going out of your way all the time to make people happy will only eat up time and energy. The stress to please people also creates stress and anxiety which leads to an inability to be content in life beacsue YOU never beocome happy becasue you are always trying to please. Conversly, going out of your way to mean, hurtful, and basically a pain in the ass is also a waste of time and effort. It causes you to be hated (the creation of enemies) and the enemies put stress on you. Also, the inevitable physical indulgances that being "evil" causes stifles whatever mental potential you had in that brain of yours.

By just being nice, pleasent, and tolerante, you don't have to go out of your way to please people or make yourself comfortable and you won't be pissing people off at the same time. Granted, you will eventually piss someone off, but that happens to everyone. It's when nearly EVREYONE hates you that you have a problem. That's what I do. I focus on my studies (or at least things that interest me), I'm tolerate to other people's faults becasue it's a waste of time to point them out. I'm also relatively law-abiding becasue getting in trouble with the police is a waste of time. Sure, I don't agree with all laws, but hey, they can't please everyone, right?

The end result is that I don't care what happens, but I'm not going to willingly suffer. I want to be comfortable and so I create a comfortable envionment of tolerance and inhostility. But don't think that I'm hospitable. I don't go out of my way to help people (usually), but that can't be truly be considered evil becasue I don't hurt people either. I try and stay morally neutral. I don't commit atrocities, but I don't plant any garden either. I just live in a place I feel comfortable and to what I want within those boarders.

© Copyright 2001 SyntheticGod (UN: synthetic at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SyntheticGod has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/107321-Freedom-and-Tolerance