*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/144621-Entry-One
Rated: 13+ · Book · Drama · #332906
For the Writing Assignment Scenario Two
#144621 added August 13, 2008 at 6:15pm
Restrictions: None
Entry One
Entry One

         The science fair had vanished! The crowds of people, Jacob and Michelle, the booths and displays, the very walls and in fact the entire building had disappeared. I examined my new surroundings. It certainly appeared like I was in a jungle. The air was thick and humid, dense vegetation hung around me uncomfortably. The earth beneath my feet was damp and slippery a mixture of mud and crushed plant life. I tried to remain calm collect my thoughts and figure out what had just happened. Fingers shaking, I really needed a cigarette at that moment. Could Jacob’s little time travel experiment have possibly succeeded where top scientist from around the world have failed? The improbability of what had just occurred made my head spin. Had I really become the first time traveler in history by accident? It looked as if I had ended up in the distant past rather than the future. Was there a more rational explanation that I was overlooking?
         Suppressing the urge to panic I fumbled for my backpack and unzipped the front pocket in search of my pack of Marlboro Lights and a lighter. I wasn’t prepared to be lost in a jungle I was planning on spending the day at a middle school science fair! I was dressed casually in jeans and a light weight red and white plaid woven Southpole shirt over top a plain white T-shirt. At least I was prepared to be walking since I thought I was going to be wandering around the science fair I had worn my Cat boots.
         Unzipping the front pouch of my Cabela’s realtree camouflaged backpack I pulled out my pack of cigarettes and lighter and inhaled a relaxing dose of nicotine. Leaning against a non-threatening looking tree I decided to examine the other contents of my backpack. Along with my cigarettes and lighter the front pouch contained a pack of doublemint chewing gum and a guitar pick. The larger compartment held my songwriting journal/notebook and a pen, a set of dial calipers I used for work, a baseball style cap with the logo of the Boston Bruins hockey team on it and my digital camera that I was planning on using to take pictures at the science fair. That was all I had with me and I had no idea what to do. How was I going to get back home? Did Jacob know what had happened and would he be able to reverse his experiment? Had I really traveled in time or was I simply dreaming all of this? I took one last long drag on my cigarette and heaved a heavy sigh feeling very alone.

© Copyright 2008 Amy du Lac Bleu (UN: bcgirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Amy du Lac Bleu has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/144621-Entry-One