*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/188777-Prologue
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Book · Fanfiction · #506645
Evil Lurks in the shadows. The one closest to him will be the first to betray him
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#188777 added August 27, 2002 at 6:20pm
Restrictions: None
Prologue
Diclaimer: Paramount owns Star Trek and related items. Noncannon characters are mine.

Prologue


"Why me?" Beverly Crusher directed the question to the darkness before her.

"I'm partial to redheads," was the cool, clipped reply.

There was movement amongst the shadows and a figure finally broke forth.

Beverly found herself face to face with a girl who appeared to be barely older than sixteen, but that could have been yet another illusion. The girl's hair was as fiery as the Doctor's, pulled into a tight ponytail that hung past her trim waist. Sharp blue eyes took in every minute detail and gave no hint to her thoughts.

She stepped toward Beverly. Her crisp black uniform crackled with the motion.

"I am Jacklynne."

Beverly nodded. "It's nice to finally meet you."

"I wish it were under better circumstances." An ear cuff glinted in the minimal light of their surroundings.

The older woman's eyes narrowed. "You're human aren't you?"

Jacklynne smiled slightly. "Down to my very last DNA strand."

Beverly returned her aloof smirk.

Jacklynned turned from the Doctor and reached her black gloved-sheathed hands into the shadows. She produced a small piece of technology, no larger than a fist and handed it to the Doctor.

"This is it?" Beverly raised an eyebrow.

"Yes."

"I see."

The girl faced her again and they locked gazes; an unspoken conversation transpired between them.

"What does Captain Picard mean to you?" Jacklynne asked suddenly.

The question was unexpected and Beverly hesitated. In another time, under different circumstances, the younger girl would have been giggling as she spoke, starry-eyed over the prospect of romance on the flagship of the Federation.

There was no giggling and no romance. This was a question of the utmost importance; a question of life or death.

Beverly pursed her lips together. She leveled her gaze with the girl's. Her eyes focused her answer and made sure there was no misunderstanding.

"Everything."

Jacklynne raised her chin and drew in a deep breath.

"What would you do for him?"

There was no hestitation this time. The answer was quick and precise.

"Anything."

Abruptly, the girl spun on her heel, turning her back completely to the Doctor. Beverly did not move.

Silence stalked the space between them. Tension mounted to a tangible height.

Finally, in a clear, singular tone, Jacklynne said,

"Even if it means betraying his trust?"

An effervescent particle of doubt flashed in the doctor's eyes, but the fire of loyalty and determination vanquished it instantly.

"Yes."

**************************************************


"I wish I could say that you've been like a father to me, but I've never had one so I don't know what it feels like. But if there is anyone in this universe that I could choose to be like or make proud of me- it's you."
~Tasha Yar to Captain Picard~

© Copyright 2002 Mercedes_Aria (UN: aj_2002 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Mercedes_Aria has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/188777-Prologue