*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/197626-Willoughby
by RatDog
Rated: 18+ · Book · Fantasy · #274453
A Journal of my adventures in the world I inhabit while I'm asleep.
#197626 added October 8, 2002 at 1:33am
Restrictions: None
Willoughby
There’s a place I go in Dreamland once in awhile, to get away from it all. It’s a town called Willoughby, like in that old Twilight Zone episode. Friendly people, a big old-fashioned Victorian hotel with comfortable rooms, a great place to stay. No TV, Radio, or Newspapers in the Hotel, this is for people who want a break from the rat race of civilization. The grounds around the hotel are really nice, with shaded paths to walk along next to a small brook; and benches where you can sit under a tree to read a book and relax, while sipping on a tall cool drink.

So I go back to Willoughby again, looking forward to a nice break. The station is crowded when I get there though, way more people than usual. And they’ve got a souvenir stand here now, with t-shirts and other junk. This place looks like it’s getting too commercial for me.

When I get to the hotel, I have to wait in line to check in. The desk clerk looks pretty stressed out as he hurries to check people in. I finally get to my room and unpack my things. It’s not as quiet as usual. I can hear people talking loudly outside my window, and someone is arguing with the desk clerk about room assignments.

I decide to go to the restaurant downstairs for some dinner. I’m shocked to see it’s been remodeled, turned into a cafeteria. I ask the clerk why they changed it. “We needed a way to accommodate all the guests we’ve been getting lately.”

After waiting in line, I find an empty seat at one of the large tables. Soon a talkative couple joins me. “Isn’t this place great? This is our first visit. How long have you been coming here?”

I’m really not feeling very sociable, but I talk enough to be polite, while I hurry to finish my meal. It seems like I’m the only one here looking for peace and quiet, everyone else is talking and laughing. Later, back in my room, I have a hard time falling asleep. There’s a loud party going on in a room down the hall, this place is not the quiet little hotel it used to be.

In the morning, I go for a walk on the grounds. There are large groups of people in the garden; it’s as noisy as it is in the hotel. I find a bench to sit on, and open a book to read. A few minutes later, one of the guests joins me. “Hi! Mind if I sit here? Beautiful day, isn’t it?”

I’m ready to scream! What has happened to this place? If I wanted to hang around with a bunch of people, I would’ve gone to Disneyland! I hold my temper. “I have to go, have a nice day!” I say, as I close my book and walk back to the hotel.

I pack my things and check out, although the desk clerk tries to convince me to stay. I’ll get more peace and quiet at home than I can here. Back at the station, I ask when the next train leaves. “The train only runs on Saturday sir, you’ll have to stay the rest of the week.”

“What about a taxi?” I ask.

“No taxi service in Willoughby, just the weekly train. That’s the charm of our little town, it’s a place to get away from it all,” He says.

“Well, I’ve had enough of Willoughby, I’ll walk to the next town and get a ride from there.”

“Suit yourself,” the station clerk says.

I’m walking on the path alongside the railroad tracks, carrying my suitcase. The sun is hot, and I didn’t bring any water with me. Damn, I’m getting thirsty… When I rode in on the train, it seemed like the next town was only a couple miles from the station… But I’ve been walking over three hours now, and there’s nothing in sight… I sure hope I get there soon…

© Copyright 2002 RatDog (UN: cyam_01 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
RatDog has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/197626-Willoughby