*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/201232-Alone-On-My-Iceberg
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #464720
You supply the reading. I'll supply the writing.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#201232 added November 3, 2002 at 3:55pm
Restrictions: None
Alone On My Iceberg
Hey!!! I've just realized that I can add a new entry here...Neat...I'm not very observant. That's what I like best about this site...all the options.

"A Peek at the REAL Thumbster" was one of the first things I wrote when I came to Stories. I made it a journal instead of a static item because I mistakenly thought that journal items weren't rated.

So why do I prefer to post most of my items as unrateable?

Don't I realize these items wont be included in the public listings or that comments can't be sent to me but emails can, but wont be permanently stored or count towards the reader's "Reviews to Ratings" ratio? DON'T I WANT HONEST, CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK?

Am I some kind of heretic?...Possibly.

Am I some kind of ungrateful pervert?...Probably.

Don't I realize this makes me an outsider?...Definitely.

Do I want to be a Stories.com hermit?...Not yet.

I didn't come to this site to write my stupid stories and poems on a cave wall. I enjoy reading and commenting on others work. I even enjoy others commenting on my stuff, but the rating system never quite worked for me.

I know my stories or poems should be revised and then revised again, but I'm happy with them just the way they are. They're not meant to compete with professionally written stories or poems...heck,(watching my language here)...they're not meant to compete with preschool written stories or poems. I'm not looking for fame and fortune as a writer...which is convenient seeing as it's very unlikely I'll ever have to worry about either as a writer.

I appreciate that the VAST majority here take writing VERY seriously...as well they should. Honest, constructive feedback can be very valuable to a writer trying to hone their craft.

I've always stated very clearly that I write just for the fun of it. I don't take my writing seriously. I find there's a lot of freedom and no pressure when I write only to please myself. A numerical rating of my stuff has little meaning to me. You and I might not agree on what is funny or which is better...red or green...but that's okay with me. Some things are better left unrated...babies' smiles...hugs...Thumbsucker's stupid stuff.

I do plan to make more items rateable in the future. I'm curious what other's might think of them, as in the case of the item I'm currently working on.

In the meantime...I might as well make myself at home on this iceberg.

© Copyright 2002 Thumbsucker (UN: thumbsucker at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Thumbsucker has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/201232-Alone-On-My-Iceberg