*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/204720-
by Joy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing · #554627
Encounters with the Writing Process
#204720 added November 8, 2002 at 1:33pm
Restrictions: None
Lets Not Fool Ourselves
         Writing is never effortless. Everyone can sit down and free-flow without lifting the pen from the paper. Yet, a writer’s craft asks for more than haphazardly jotted down words that show him wearing his heart on his sleeve. Without paying attention to style, technique, or revision, an unattended work is at best an entry to a diary. In order to deserve to be called a writer, it is essential to understand and accept the enormous amount of work lying ahead of us. This is where practice comes in; although, practice alone is not enough.

         They say practice makes perfect and practice is important where technique is concerned. At least with practice, our mistakes with syntax, grammar, spelling and usage may get toned down and become less obvious. Also practice improves the writer’s enthusiasm and willingness to try for more.

         If we are writing for ourselves, lack of practice may not be much of a problem. We can write what we like, hide it inside a notebook or a desktop folder, and we are done. If we are writing for readers other than ourselves and try to say something unique and worthwhile with each piece, the act of writing changes its aura.

         Each piece of writing makes a beginner out of even the most seasoned writers. As our work increases in quantity, it may become more and more difficult to write. Now we have to be alert not to repeat ourselves, not only with words and phrases but also with our plots, descriptions, and our approach to the task at hand.

         Each piece of writing has its own demands. Each genre asks for a different approach. Each type of poetry requires a different stance in method and style. Each form of prose needs its own construction. Even between long and short fiction there are enormous differences in pacing, character development, structure, and overall effect. A type of work may require details in ordinary things whereas another type may be overburdened with those same details. That is why we have to look at our work over and over again and if need be, rewrite sections, re-form characters, re-word descriptions, and even re-think thematic approaches.

         When we can effectively decide to abandon or resuscitate an item of our writing, we have succeeded, for we have learned to judge our craft. In the long run, to be able to trust our work or to be able to recognize its fallibilities is the first sign of becoming a writer. And then, after all this toil and trouble, if we still keep at it, it means we’ve made it. :)

Today’s tip:
Use single quotation marks to enclose a quotation within a quotation.
-“You told me, ‘Don’t sell your GE stocks,’ and I didn’t,” she said.-








--------------------------------
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
My current ratings are given according to the SMS's guidelines.
TRUE LOVE IS HONEST
"The Writing-Practice Journal

Para/Poem Challenge "Open"  (13+)
I've got the words, if you've got the time. Gimme your best Para/Poem.
#213819 by wordsy
** Image ID #467080 Unavailable ** ** Image ID #460955 Unavailable ** ** Image ID #513135 Unavailable ** ** Image ID #467084 Unavailable ** ** Image ID #434966 Unavailable ** ** Image ID #438606 Unavailable **

Joy Logo for Writing.Com Moderators - small.








© Copyright 2002 Joy (UN: joycag at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Joy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/204720-