*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/219110-Music-Category
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Biographical · #511249
this is my top ten list of favourite things.. ie. music, books..
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#219110 added March 21, 2004 at 9:01am
Restrictions: None
Music Category
Well... i've been trying hard to update my music top 10 list for awhile, but i've just come to the conclusion that i can't because there is just too much songs that i love and would like to keep in the list. Soo.. this is a whole list of categorized well.. under my categories anyways, or music which I love and would like to make a note on, in the case that I forget. And I definately will forget.


First up, we have....
Latest Music Obession
which is pretty much clearly what it says...
so for now, it's.

1)Jet - Are You Gonna Be My girl. Heh... I just love this song.. and it's always rung in my head because one day I fell asleep on the couch, and when I woke up, this was the song that was blaring.. so.. it must've subconciously dug its way into my brain.

2) REM - Don't know. Suddenly, had the urge to download 'Everybody Hurts'. It struck a chord with me... took me about what.. three years to finally like this song. And I really do.


3) Blink 182 - I miss you...that's the name of the song. Never liked them.. too punk rock fake-ish. but their new song is quite and i'm using this word an awful lot.. 'emo'. The lyrics are amusing for some reason, to me. Something something... "my indecision to call you..." heh.. indecision.. that's just an interesting word to put in a song.

4)

5)



alrighty.. and now are the main categories which are i should say, quite a lot and under my own perception of these songs. so i guess i should put a disclaimer here. My own perception and categorizing of songs.. so if you happen to think that this band/singer doesn't belong in this category..well.. *shrugs* there's nothing i can do about it.

first up,
Pretty-Boy Alternative
What i like to call these sorta bands. Nice music, not really pop-ish.. but not really alternative either. And most of the lead singers are nice to look at. Bands like..

1)Coldplay. Trouble and Shiver. Two favourite songs from them. But as a band, generally I like them. *update* rush of blood to the head.. mm.. love the lyrics 'i'm gonna buy a gun and start a war... if you can tell me something worth fighting for'

2)Eve 6. Only one song from here but only cause I've only heard one song from them. Here's to the Night.

3) Incubus. Just got into their music due to certain... influence. 'Drive' was one of their songs i initially liked but after that.. got into the acoustic versions of 'I Miss You' and 'Stellar'.

4) The Calling. Classic pretty-boy alternative. We're Forgiven, favourite song. Like their other songs too.

5) Counting Crows. Just got into this as well. Amy Hit the Atmosphere and All My Friends. great songs. oh and for the mainstream side of me :) Colorblind. And I fell in love with Holiday in Spain. Great lyrics and music. Very rare.

6) Five for Fighting. Superman. Only this one song too.. but like it a lot. They have a new song which I like but I'm not sure what the title is.

7)Lifehouse. Ooh.. like this band in general and strangely enough, no favourite songs. Oh wait, new song.. Everything. I like that.

8) Something for Kate. Ooh, i finally picked up something obscure. or at least, i haven't heard of them. Three Dimensions is pretty much the only song i've heard from them so far though..heh. but i like it.

9)Goo Goo Dolls. Girl Right Next To Me and See Right Through You, acoustic versions preferbly. They have progressed from just liking a few of their songs to liking them in general. New song! Sympathy.

10)Nine Days. Story of a Girl. But have a feeling will like them in general soon enough.

11)Our Lady Peace. Like them in general! Fave songs include Life and Somewhere Out There.

12) Dashboard Confessional - At first, I wanted to add a whole new emo*coughgigglecough* category but then i realized..hm. i only like one emo band. However, i like this band a LOT. great great songs. A Plain Morning is worth mentioning. They have a sort of Incubus/Our Lady Peace feel to it.. but I like them better because it's rare that I find a band/singer where I like more than 5 songs done by them.

13)The All-American Rejects - ah, pretty eyes!!! the lead singer, i mean. 'Swing Swing', very infectious song. and i'm glad to say that i heard the song before i saw the videoclip so i'm not biased and saying i love the music just because the lead singer's cute. hah. My Paper Heart!!! Love it!

14) Vertical Horizon - hm.. they have a song called 'angel without wings' which i d/l-ed the acoustic version of. I like their songs.. but not overly much so... the only reason i really loved 'best i ever had' was because i heard an acoustic version of it and it sounded ten times better than the original one.

15) Death Cab for Cutie - ooh look two emo's! well... yeah i have to admit here... that i like this band partially because of their name as well as their 'image' in emo land. so it's not really a true appreciation of their music. their music isn't particularly great.. not bad.. a little loud... dashboard is better in my opinion.

16) straylight run - another emo band. existentialism on prom night. just because. it's a nice song.

Soulful and yummy
a sorta spin-off from pretty-boy alternative. these are not really alternative.. slower, and more mellow songs but not pop either. great for listening to while sleeping. and most of them are cute as well. um.heh.

1)John Mayer.. two songs especially. No Such Thing and Love Song for No One. Excellent lyrics and great voice. listened to it countless times. update: and adding two more GREAT songs to the list..hmm.. john mayer.. not bad.. i actually like most of his songs. Comfortable and Quiet, the live/acoustic versions. I love the lyrics to Comfortable and Love Song For No One. Yes, I am a sap. New album!! Split Screen Sadness is the one I'm listening to now. And Man On The Side.

2) Third Eye Blind. Though I only like er.. one of their songs, but i like it a lot. Deep Inside Of You.

3)Train. Drops of Jupiter. Love this song a lot. Though only this one song, sadly.

4)Matchbox twenty. Rob Thomas...mm.. like this band a lot in general.. favourite songs are Smooth (though I know it was only by rob thomas but still) and When You're Gone and... acoustic version of 3 A.M. Bright Lights!

5) Dave Matthews Band. Well.. don't know if they're considered pretty-boy or alternative, but their type of music fits here. The Space Between and Sleep to Dream Her. Generally like this band in whole too.

6) Howie Day - Sunday Morning. He.. is.. very like J. Mayer and Jason Mraz which is why I like him. Sunday Morning has a very J. Mayer vibe.. soothing, relaxing...

Pop-ish
These songs are well.. pop songs but they're only slightly pop-ish to me.. because some songs are just pure bubblegum stuff which truly belong to pop and they are in another category somewhere below. These songs, I'm proud to say that I actually like 'em instead of denying it while hiding the cd under my bed.
Anyways, most of these, I just like songs and not the singers in general.

1)J.lo and Ja Rule. They did a couple of songs together and I liked them all.

2)N'sync with Nelly. That Girlfriend song. But only the remix. It's just too damn infectious, dammit!

3)Nelly and Kelly. Dilemma. Another infectious song which I tried to stay away from but in the end found myself humming to it.

4)Destiny's Child. Well.. Emotion was pretty good. Better than the original in my opinion.

5)Sugababes. Ah..now.. this is true pop-ish because they're sorta pop..but not really. I happen to like them a lot in general.. favourite songs Destination and Breathe Easy.

6)Vanessa Carlton. Ordinary Day. 'nuff said.

7) Michelle Branch. Goodbye to You acoustic version. yeah.. that's about it. Tuesday Morning.

8)Mary J Blige, Family Affair. Infectious specially the chorus. "..you got'sta dance with me..."

9)the now disbanded Savage Garden. I Knew I Loved you and the acoustic version with the woman singing of Truly Madly Deeply.

10)Graduation by Vitamin C. Simply because of the lyrics.

11)Fallin' Alicia Keyes. Also didn't like it at first but got pulled into it.

12)Avril Lavigne! Complicated.. totally got pulled into that one.

13) No Doubt. Ooh. Excellent band in general. Bathwater is the best!! The videoclip is cool too.

14)Sheryl Crow. Relative newcomer into the pop-ish scene. But Soak up the Sun and Steve McQueen deserve a mention.

15) Kid Rock. Most of his songs are cool. Picture and maybe American Badass.

16) Shakira. Underneath Your Clothes. nice voice.

17) Sean Paul. um.. all i can say is... he has very... provocative..videos... but very infectious beat.
*coughs* now to make me feel a little better

18) Oukast. They have that 'it' factor as well. Hey Ya. Infectious!!

19) Robbie Williams - Sexed Up!! Ahh.. I adore this song and am replaying this a lot. I love his personality, it's so sure of himself,and not like some people who act like they know they're the best, but he somehow possesses this way of acting, with the smirk and everything that actually makes me believe it. If I ever were to broken up by, I'd love it if they just sent this song to me. I am becoming a fan of him. World's Most Handsome Man and of course, his swing album among various others. He just has that cocky swaggerring confidence which I find very..er.. attractive.

Angry Girl Music
sad to say, i'm still a bit apprehensive when talking about pop-ish because *sigh* society just drilled into me how embarassing that can be. So as a consolation, i sometimes delve into angry-girl music which is still a respectable genre.
I like all these artists in general.

1)the queen of angry-girl music. Alanis Morrissette. Ironic and king of pain are pretty nice.

2)Ani DiFranco. I just discovered her this year. Ooh... 32 Flavors.. excellent lyrics. and Falling is Like This.

3)Meredith Brooks. Though I only like 'Bitch', i still like her in general.

um.. a little sub-category here...
Not-so-angry-girl music
relatively the same... but not as angry...

4) Sarah Mclachlan. Falling From Grace and Angel are favourites. Like her other songs as well. Possession. Adia. In fact, I like most of her songs.

5)Aimee Mann. Ooh.. now i like a lot of her songs. Almost all of them. Excellent, excellent lyrics. I LOVE the sarcasm in them.

6)Fiona Apple. Across the Universe. that's about it.

7) Chantal Kreviasuk - I always thought she had a lovely voice from 'Leaving On a Jet Plane' but then she disappeared for awhile. I found this song 'In This Life' which I am replaying a lot because I like the um... I'm not exactly sure what you call it.. it's just pure singing without words. I love her voice!

Jazz
yumm... a pretty much small category since.. well.. only one artist from jazz which i listen to.
1)Norah Jones. But I love the majority of her songs. Painter Song, Turn Me On, Don't Know Why.. veerrry relaxing.

2) Micheal Buble - I'm so horribly mainstream. *sigh* I love his classic old 50's type voice. No particular favourites.. just started listening to him.

Swing
Another small category, same reason..
1)Robbie Williams... more like his remakes of swing but excellent! Mr. Bojangles, They Can't Take That Away From Me and Me and My Shadow. First cd ever which I've liked every single song.

*phew* will continue this some other day.. taking too long.

alright.. continuing on...where was i?

head-banging music
a tiny collection of well.. to me.. a bit more hardcore music.. meaning it's a little more alternative or louder than what i thought i usually listened to.

1)David Draiman- Forsaken.. from QOTD soundtrack. mmm.. nice song..love it!

2) Puddle of Mudd- She f***in' Hates me... very infectious beat.

3) Jay Gordon- Slept So Long.. another off QOTD..i think it's only cause of the movie that i liked these songs.

4) Metallica- Unforgiven.. now.. i don't know why or where did i come across this song but i liked it?

5) Hitchin A Ride- Green Day. ooh.. now i actually like this band. lyrics and beats are very catchy!

6) Puscifer- REV 22:20. Taken off the Underworld soundtrack. One of the very few heavy/loud songs I listen to. I like the jazzy, hypnotic undertone to it. This reminds me exactly of vampires.

My Name-Dropping 'Cool' Songs :p
*laughs* well.. these songs or bands/singers I sometimes *coughs* name-drop when asked about what kind of music I like. Heh.. it's just an ego thing or whatever but I have to have some weird unique music.

1) Cibo Matto- Suger Water... actually from Buffy.. but no one really knows that.. plus it's a nice song, very haunting.

2) Sneaker Pimps- Six Underground.. another haunting song, but i like it.

3)Wyclef Jean songs.. don't know... he himself is sorta eclectic.. fave songs include New Day and Gone 'Til November.

4) Dido- Hunter and Here With Me... haaunnntingg... hmm.. maybe i should just change the category to haunting songs.

5)Jamiroquai- Corner of the Earth. I really really like this song, lyrics and all. Though, his earlier works, Virtual Insanity, that wasn't so bad either.

6) Sixpence None The Richer- ooh.. yeah.. most of their songs.. especially acoustic version of Kiss Me.

7) David Usher- Black black heart is a fave, but like his other songs quite a bit too.

8) Cake - I just love his monotone voice. I don't know why.. but it just makes the songs nicer to listen to. Sheep Go To Heaven is a cute one.

9)The White Stripes- damn their mezmerizing videoclip. Seven Nation Army = good. What can i say? i'm mainstream. found others. It's a cold,cold night and it's true that we love one another.

10)Evanescence - hmm.. yes... bring me to life is interesting. love her voice. other songs i've dug up are my immortal and haunted. again, nice voice.. slow mellow and haunting.

11) Cardigans - Lovefool. Easy enough on the ears but they still project a presentable music image.

12) Death cab for cutie - heh.. i'm such a pretentious poser..... but they actually have some pretty good songs... champagne from a paper cup.

13) Jason mraz- just because his name is spelled so uniquely, it sounds indie and therefore, unique and original. music's pretty good too. Songs I am crazy about are You and I Both(acoustic version,mind you), Unfold and tons of many others. update: I love jason mraz! Other songs to note, No Stopping Us Now and the Remedy, acoustic. In fact, ANYTHING by him acoustic and live is excellent.

14) Athlete- You've got the Style. I don't know. The tune is just so infectious! I hated it at first because the chorus reminded me too much of Nelly but i loved the 'oh oh' parts... *grins* "Oh. it's getting hot in here.. must be something in the atmosphere... oh..oh..oh..ohhh...."

15)Rachael Yamagata - Worn me Down. Apparently up and coming... but this was from a Charmed episode. She has that indie girl vibe, great voice.



Embarassing, Mortifying Songs
*coughs* well... you didn't hear it from me.. but yes, i do have some overly sappy and very pure fluff songs which I happen to like.. i certainly don't brag about these songs but since i'm listing them out *sighs* i guess my secret is out.

1) *cringes* The Boyz- Let Me Show You the Way. um.. very boyband and pop song type trio.. i don't know where they disappeared too. And the worse thing is.. i like most of their songs too...

2) *cringes more* Celine Dion- It's All Coming Back to Me. Thankfully, i only like this one song from her.. but i do like it quite well!

3) A1-One More Try....i like it, don't want to say anything else *hides*

4) S Club 7- Have You Ever. *screams* it just pulls you in.. their other songs are catchy too!

phew.. now that's done with!

Anime and more Anime!
aah.. ever since i started watching anime, a whole new world of songs opened up. erm.. there's also songs from video games and movies here too, all japanese...well..mostly all.

1) Gensomaden Saiyuki- Alone and For Real. Anime series...loved these songs so much I'm trying to learn them on piano.

2)Utada Hikaru- um.. there's this song called First Love.. and then she did this song Hikari for a video game Kingdom Hearts...nice!

3) Princess Mononoke soundtrack - there's four or five songs in her which I simply LOVE. and excellent movie too.

4) Kenshin- Her Most Beautiful Smile. Great anime, great song.

5)Boys Be- anime.. their background music is really nice.

6) Final Fantasy- their main themes are nice.. Eyes on Me.. Melodies of Life... so on and so forth

7) Gitaroo Man- Legendary theme.. computer game. both acoustic and normal version is just as good.

8) Spirited Away- I LOVE this soundtrack. great music. there's this one song which I've been dying to find and download.. it's pretty much the main theme but instead of someone singing, it's just vocal and the woman's just going along with the melody. excellent version.

9) Boogiepop Phantom - At first i didn't like the song.. but then i became obsessed with it and listened to it about 5 times non-stop.

10) Serial Experiments Lain - Theme song is not bad.. Duvet-Boa. I like it quite a bit.

11) Chobits - I Hear You Everywhere... I really really love this song.. Haunting.

Movie/TV soundtracks
quite a large percentage of songs i listen to and love are pulled from movies or tv shows which i well.. love.

1) Story of Us OST - bruce willis and michelle pfiefer(sp?) the main theme.. more commonly known as Classical Gas. played by Eric Clapton.

2) Serendipity OST- lovely songs for a lovely sappy movie.

3) Moulin Rouge OST- Gorecki by Lamb.. Come What May... Elephant Love Medley.. loved the movie, loved the songs.

4) Most everything from Ally Mcbeal. Vonda Shepard... she does a lot of remakes but i prefer them to the oldies.

5)Practical Magic OST- oh wow.. magical songs.. there's one um.. Case of You... by Joni Mitchell. Love that song. and then there's This Kiss by Faith Hill.

6) Cartoons! Nightmare Before Christmas. Toy Story.. when somebody loved me-sarah mclachlan.. hercules- Won't Say I'm in love.

7)Chicago soundtrack..ooh... nice songs... favourite one is the cell block tango.

8) Buffy. Not exactly a soundtrack but they have some great songs during the series. Alison Krauss.. Cibo Matto, Tom McRae.... Ah hell, since I'm mentioning Buffy I might as well mention Roswell. I don't even watch it but they have some great music.

9) LOTR soundtrack. Because I love all about LOTR!

10) Disney!! Go Disney movies. Well.. actually, I don't think they're all disney movies... some are.. just... movies that are.. cartoon.. but i'm putting it here so hah. Alice In Wonderland is great.. A Golden Afternoon. Dumbo's Baby Mine. Peter Pan 2 Jonatha Brooke. Among others.


One Hit Wonders
Random songs by bands I don't particularly like except for that one or two song(s) that manage to slip past.

1) Yellowcard - Something of Value. An 'emo' band. But I like this song quite a bit. Enough to earn a mention anyways.

2)Stacie Orrico - There's Gotta Be More To Life. I think.. about 50% of the reason I like this song is the videoclip. MTV is so bad for true music. I get affected by the quality of the video as well. But nice video, infectious beat. I'll wait till she impresses me with another song then i'll move her to pop.

3)Maroon 5 - Don't particularly like this band except for this song 'She Will be Loved' and not even overly much so. But the lyrics are the saving grace. Nice lyrics. Oh, and new one.. This Love... great song.

4)Desree - Kissing You. From the R&J soundtrack. oops.guess it should go into movies then shouldn't it. oh yeah. it should! because lovefool by the cardigans is also from the soundtrack and i like that song as well. ...hmm..oh well...i like this song. i know i must've liked it a lot because i remember searching for it for weeks on the net.

5) Tapping the Vein - Undone. Found this song while I was surfing a so-called gothic radio station. Quite nice.. as I repeatedly say, I love haunting female vocals.

6)Seal - Mona Lisa Smile. Old jazzy songs. Love 'em. Love his voice as well. So classical.

actually... i think that's about it for now. till the next time!

© Copyright 2004 Aveline (UN: aveline at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Aveline has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/219110-Music-Category