*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/226180
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #539038
I'm beginng to update again, so look forward to more stories!
#226180 added February 7, 2003 at 10:51pm
Restrictions: None
Day Eleven, Part Three
         We stood in the center of a large clearing. There was a ring of people around us, as I had suggested not to let Diagon Alley be destroyed because of our duel. Even though Lucius had sneered, he agreed. We stood perhaps ten paces from each other, but the others kept themselves as far away from us as they could without actually losing sight of the action. Duels like this, I could guess, were unthinkable. Well, maybe for them. This would also be a good chance to test out the theory that Wizards and Witches were Qi Channellers, that is, they need a wand to use their powers. I sincerely hoped they were right, or I might have to call upon the Goddess of Death, Celeste, to get me out of this mess. Celeste would be rather annoyed.
         As we stood there getting ready, a large tree came between the two of us. It was Hagrid, trying his hardest for us to stop. "Stop this!" he said. "Forgive her, Mister Malfoy, she didn't mean whatever she said, it's just the stress of her first time here in England ya know," he continued, before urging me to apologize. Before I could tell Hagrid that it had been Malfoy who'd insulted me, he spoke and that caused me to be even angrier.
         "Get out of the way, you big great oaf! If I'd have my way you'd left Hogwarts a long time ago. Son of a Giantess and a Wizard. You're a disgrace!" he said. Somehow, he knew how to punch my buttons.
         Get out of the way, Hagrid. I don't want him to hurt you, I said to him telepathically. This may have been against the rules, but I implanted a resigned notion in his mind as well. It would dissipate as soon as the duel was over and not before. He sighed and moved out of the way. Most of the people standing on my side had already moved back further, action or no. The grass around me had been flattened and there were eddies of wind about me, as though there was a mini-tornado and I was at its' eye.
         Dimly, I heard Su cautioning the others to stay away. I blocked out her sweet melodic voice that had the power to relax and calm me. For this, I really needed my rage. "Don't get involved in this. Oh, hie Kurama-san, Hiei-san. No, please don't interfere Peter, Clapika. When she's like this it's best to stay away. Botan, I'll need your healing skills. The average for my sister to throw someone in the hospital is usally about six months, although there was a guy who was in for about 48 months. That was when she was learning to control her powers," she told me later what she'd said.

My reaction to her statement: That was 48 months minus the physiotherapy, or did you leave that out on purpose?

         "I'm giving you a last chance, Malfoy. Are you going to retract what you said about Sapplefuss?" I called out. Instead, he called out for someone to help us start this weird duel.
         "Excuse me," an extremely cultured voice said, "But are you talking about Barbara Sapplefuss, a druidess?" a man who seemed to be of Scandinavian descent. He had gorgeous blue eyes, light, blond yellow hair and was overall a hunk. He also stood easily apart at a little over six-and-a-half-feet.
         "Dangerfield..." Malfoy sneered.
         "Ah, Lucius. How nice to meet you again. Have you been throwing mud at people's honour again?" he asked pleasantly, but I heard Sukina, Gon, Kirua and Yokoshima gasp. It seemed that all of them recognized the deadly insult he'd just delivered.
         Wasn't Dangerfield the name of the guy who single-handedly help Natalie destroy that group that was threathening her sometime ago? my sister asked.
         At this point in time, Imouto, I don't care. If he pricks Malfoy, it's good enough for me, I telepathed back.
         "Malfoy insulted Barbara and refuses to retract his statement. Calling me a mudblood is one thing, but never insult my friends," I bared my teeth in a feral grin at Malfoy for good effect.
         "Indeed... Insulting one's own honour is one thing, but the honour of others unable to defend themselves..." Dangerfield's tone was pleasant but he looked angry. In fact, I recognized it, for at this point in time we were both having the same effects.
         "He's mine, Dangerfield. Maybe after I'm through with him you'll want to pick up the pieces and grind them. You could always give the paste to dogs, although I doubt they'd want it. They're more sensitive than we are you know," I said.
         Malfoy was livid. He spluttered, and I had the feeling that men like Malfoy didn't splutter very often. It gave me a great deal of satisfaction. I could feel strength and rage pouring from the bond my sister and I had. I did not hide anything from her, and she knew of the friendship I had with Barbara. She also knew how jealously I protected my friends' honours, sometimes at the expense of my own. In some weird way, many knew that, and it gave me even more honour in their eyes. Go figure.
         "You two need someone to help start this duel. I volunteer for the task. And," Dangerfield said to Malfoy, "You'd better pray she finishes you, or else you'll have me to deal with, and you know what I'm capable of," he said.
         "Ready, Be..." before Dangerfield could complete his words, Malfoy had pressed his attack. He pointed his wand at me and a bright blue bolt shot out. I easily dodged it, moving behind him.
         "This is for Barbara," I hit him at the base of his neck. He fell, but turned and shot another blaze of pure energy that would have killed me if I hadn't already moved away. The bolt flew through the air.
         "This is for my sister," I said, appearing in front of him and catching square in the jaw, the same spot, I noted clinically, where Yokoshima had earlier hit him.
         He winced, but got up to his feet. I could feel the pure sense of his qi, gathering darkness and forbidden powers about him. Before he said it, I knew he was going to use a Forbidden Spell. "Evada Kadavra!" he shouted, a thunderclap resounding.
         According to the spell, it was deadly and if it touched me, it would kill me. It didn't. My mind worked automatically, summoning a Shikigami to my side. I could feel the three wooden seals in my hands and unthinkingly, I threw them at the oncoming light. "Rikuho!" I shouted, calling the Shikigami who had once worked for an ancient family. It was one of the few who wanted to stay with me, even if I found his family.
         Only when the seals left my hands did I realize what I had done. I screamed and started forward to grab them, but the seals met the white light and there was a huge explosion. I stood firmly rooted to the ground, letting the searing heat burn me, but it was not the heat that burned your skin, but your soul.
         When the smoke I cleared, I raised my voice to the heavens in lament. Tears coursed down my cheeks. There was nothing, nothing! that would take the place of Rikuho. There was a huge emptiness within me, and all my Shikigamis, all of them, cried with me, even Siku, Sika, and all the others I had contacted in London.RIKUHO!!
         The pain, that was all there is. RIKUHO! Inadequate tears for the sorrow I felt, rage, for the man who had caused me to sacrifice a friend. Emotions fused together, I got up and looked through blinded eyes for him. He was not anywhere to be seen. fell on my knees. RIKUHO! My cries of frustration was so horrifying, that the few birds in the area that had dared to land again fled. I cried and cried. RIKUHO!!!!!!!!

© Copyright 2003 Karen Rump (UN: priestess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Karen Rump has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/226180