*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/229720-Is-this-really-true
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #459487
This is not for the faint-hearted!
#229720 added March 5, 2003 at 11:18pm
Restrictions: None
Is this really true?
Sorry for the incomplete entry!

         I just had lunch with my boyfriend a little while ago and he brought up a topic that may seem odd to you, but it is rather relevant to us living in Asia and non-English speaking countries. According to him, those who were TAUGHT to speak English tend to think bottom-top, with the most concise words at the top and the most general at the bottom. An example would be "Should human cloning be allowed?" This is an example of how most people would frame their questions in my class at least. When prompted to elaborate further, they may say something like, "Oh, it's cloning humans for money."
         This is in direct contrast to how those who speak English as their first language think. According to my bf, we (including me) were taught to think top-bottom, with the most concise and accurate word at the top and then moving down to the most general meanings. Thus, the above question could be formatted to be, "Should human cloning be banned/ allowed to continue/ legislated/etc.?" or even "Should commercialized human cloning be legislated?" Slightly longer, but with far less confusion and generality of the above question. AS mentioned earlier, I could be wrong, so can someone correct me?
         Thanks!!!

© Copyright 2003 Karen Rump (UN: priestess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Karen Rump has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/229720-Is-this-really-true