*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/234749-Ching-Beng-or-Respecting-the-Dead
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #459487
This is not for the faint-hearted!
#234749 added March 30, 2003 at 9:29pm
Restrictions: None
Ching Beng, or Respecting the Dead
         One of the things about growing up in a place like Malaysia where you have so many different races and religions are the festivals. I'm a Chinese-Eurasian Mix. My religion may be a Catholic but I subscribe to a lot of Chinese beliefs as well.
         One of them is respecting the dead. There are several festivals the Chinese have for the dead. Two of them are Ching Beng and the Festoval of the Hungry Ghosts. The festival of the Hungry Ghosts are for the ghosts released from Hell and who have no relatives or friends to pray for them. That will be addressed in a later section. The festival I want to talk about is Ching Beng.

         Yesterday was Ching Beng. Chinese families go to the Cemeteries, Crematoriums, etc. where their ancestors/parents/children/siblings are buried to pay their respects. On this day, the grave is cleared, offerings are made and prayers are said.
         My grandfather had a relatively large amount of money when he passed away, which allowed us to have him buried in a new place called Fairy Park. You pay a large amount only once and for the rest of the time (besides Ching Beng) the grave is well-kept and looked after. In fact, when Ching Beng comes around they even help to prepare the things needed such as large pots for burning paper offerings and such.
         It was a rather tiring journey as we were caught in a jam for about 2 hours. I'm quite tired still, and if you don't mind waiting, I'll post up more details later. Take care!! *Smile*

Life is what you make of it and nothing else. Kill the Buddha as you meet him, kill the father as you meet him, kill the son as you meet him, live life to your rules.

© Copyright 2003 Karen Rump (UN: priestess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Karen Rump has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/234749-Ching-Beng-or-Respecting-the-Dead