*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/234774-Day-Twenty-Part-Two
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #539038
I'm beginng to update again, so look forward to more stories!
#234774 added April 1, 2003 at 1:24am
Restrictions: None
Day Twenty, Part Two
         I walked up the stairs, apprehension building up within me. We just had a meeting yesterday and there was no reason to call me back, was there? After all, I wasn't the one doing the talking, for once. There was no reason for him to call me, was there?
         I shook my head hard as I climbed the stairs. That was what I normally did to clear my head. I needed to calm down. Without realizing it I was already in front of the door.
         I took a deep breath and opened the door. To my surprise, it wasn't only Dumbledore, but also Cornelius Fudge waiting for me. Uh-oh... This is not good, I thought. Dumbledore saw me and greeted me warmly, while Fudge was at the windows looking out. He did not look happy.
         "Come in and sit down, Karen. Have you read today's paper?' Dumbledore said, smiling away. There was a paper on the his desk, the Daily Prophet, I realized.
         The front page itself was cause for me to cringe. There was Malfoy (the dad, not the son) ranting and raving I presume. His picture was none too flattering. Plus, there was no sound, so I could not make out what's was coming out of well... I think that opening in the bandages was to allow him to speak.
         I quickly scanned the paper. There were of course, a few words that allowed me to get the gist of the article. Malfoy was saying that he had been attacked upon for no good reason by us, and that he was planning to sue the Japanese Govt. to claim recompensation. Nothing was of importance was going to happen. He also accused Dumbledore of hiring hooligans. At that, I had to stifle my laughter. Hooligans? He obviously no idea.
         "What do you have to say for yourself, MIss Karen? Malfoy is also threatening to sue us. I would like to hear your explanation before you are deported," Fudge turned from the window.
         I sat on the chair, leaning back. "He insulted me. I reacted. The others have nothing whatsoever to do with this. Besides, if you check it out properly, you'll find that he used a Forbidden Curse. He cost me a Shikigami, a PROTECTOR! HE SHOULD BE PAYING ME!" I said, rather forcefully.
         "Nevertheless," Cornelius continued as though I had said nothing, "You have injured a Citizen of the United Kingdom and he has said that he wants recompensation. If you want, I suppose you could go to court, but the chances of you winning is rather slim," Cornelius was looking at Dumbledore.
         "I believe that Professor Karen has demonstrated her willingness to go to court about this matter. Perhaps we could ask her what really happened and avoid some embarassiing moments in court?" Dumbledore said in his kind voice, but I knew that there was no way he was going to waver in support for me.
         "Yes, we should," Cornelius said. His eyes told me though, that he was not going to really listen.
         I briefly outlined the duel and the insults that preceeded it. Cornelius pricked up when he heard Daniel's name. "Daniel Dangerfield? From the Council of Warlocks?" he asked.
         I shrugged. I wasn't sure, but Daniel had said something about being in a special council. He did not seem to be pleased to hear that. "For a moment I was hoping that that report was untrue. But if one of our Highest Council members are involved..." Cornelius said, looking defeated. He sat down across me and put his head in his hands.
         "Maybe we should get Mr. Dangerfield to come here then," Dumbledore said.
         At that, Cornelius looked as though he would rather jump out a window. "Are you mad?" he said, and then just left us without another word.
         "So, is he going to sue or not?" I asked Dumbledore.
         "He will try to persuade Malfoy not to do so. Malfoy and Dangerfield have a rather far history, and one that is not limited to women," he said.
         "Return to your class for the time being, Professor. I believe that there is no threat now," he continued.
         "Thank you, Professor Dumbledore," I bowed deeply and left.

© Copyright 2003 Karen Rump (UN: priestess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Karen Rump has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/234774-Day-Twenty-Part-Two