*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/244183-Philosophy-or
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #459487
This is not for the faint-hearted!
#244183 added June 5, 2003 at 3:14am
Restrictions: None
Philosophy or
The love of Wisdom.

What is philopsophy? I have a book open in front of me. It is:

The many faces of Wisdom: Great Philopsophers Visions of Philopsophy, edited by Phil Washburn.

It's a very interesting book, but I've only read the first chapter so I don't really know the full story. What I do know is that Philopsophy can play a part in holding a nation and culture together, even giving them new meaning.

Confucius, it can be argued, gave the people of CHina what it really means to be Chinese then, and as some people say, the choices we make will haunt our children.

You see, he is a rather stubborn man who still haunts us all even though he's dead. He was a great believer in the status quo, that people should try to live as harmoniusly as they could. The way to do this was to be enlightened about the mstakes of those who came before and to make sure that the mistakes are not repeated. Furthermore, the status quo must be maintained so that there will be stability. In case you're wondering whether this meant to the translation that the elite should stay as the elite, it doesn't. In fact, Confucius (If I'm not wrong) encouraged the people to overthrow the current ruler if he/she was unjust.

That's one of the problems with the Chinese. The status quo must be maintained to the best of the abilities of the rulers, and changes should only be made when they threathen the people.


Vanity of vanities. Kill the Buddha as you meet him, kill the father as you meet him. Don't be captivated by anyone, just live your life the way you are.

© Copyright 2003 Karen Rump (UN: priestess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Karen Rump has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/244183-Philosophy-or